1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Changes at Deadspin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

RT @romenesko: A.J. Daulerio has been named Gawker editor-in-chief; Tommy Craggs succeeds him at Deadspin. http://t.co/Z5SmVrwo

2. beanpole

beanpole Member

And a window of opportunity for Zach McCann. <crossthread>

Seriously, it'll be interesting to see how Gawker changes under Daulerio.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think Craggs is one of the smartest people writing about sports. I think he was a dick in his little exchange with Charles Robinson, but this makes me happy if it means more focus on the good parts of Deadspin.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A.J. Daulerio makes my skin crawl, and all I really know about him is what he writes about himself. So there's that.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Very interesting. I think Gawker will change more with Daulerio than Deadspin will without him. Lately Deadspin's had some really good in-depth pieces so that will just continue, I'd think. With Craggs and Scocca it could get a bit too Slateish at times but I think it'll be fairly similar. I have gotten a bit bored with Gawker so Daulerio should be an interesting shakeup. Also, pics of dong shots from obscure New York media figures are definitely more in play now.

Daulerio taking over Jezebel will be the next step.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

'Hustler.' Daulerio taking over 'Hustler' is the next step.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If I'm a Hollywood guy, I put a cloak of invisibility over my junk right now.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A.J. Daulerio is more than just a dong shots guy. Remember those financial documents about MLB teams, particularly the Marlins? He was the driving force behind that. He's a very good investigative reporter in his own right. And yes, he's kind of a creep.

Deadspin might, if it's possible, get even more indignant under Tommy Craggs. That would be fine. I would like to cut down on the stupid crap not about sports, but I'm sure others love that. More than anything, I wish there were more real writing at Deadspin. Luke O'Brien's one of the best takeout writers going these days, but he writes one a month, it seems. Craggs was outstanding (he made Best American Sports Writing twice) as a takeout writer for SF Weekly and Play magazine. Tom Scocca is one of the best at the indignant takeout take down, and they've barely used him to do anything but mock Chris Jones. Barry Petchesky has really stepped his game up lately. Emma Carmichael can write, too. But so often, Deadspin opts for two paragraphs of smirks and snark.

It's very good at what it does. I wouldn't mind seeing it expand those horizons.

Draft saved Draft deleted