1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Change in the Bengals beat at the Cincy Enquirer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pseudo, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Notepad

Notepad Member

How do you type your stories with that big, foam No. 1 finger with the team you are covering on it?

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Dude - you obviously don't cover a beat

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agree with your last sentence, to a point. But years and years of 3-13 Bengals is a different kind of drudgery (as a diehard fan, I know this), and I'm not going to fault a guy for losing his mental edge after a decade (maybe that was Curnutte's case, maybe not, I'm talking in general).

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't know him but I'm amazed he didn't run amuk like a postal worker after 10 years of covering that train wreck.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

With some exception during the decent years under Marvin, most Bengals seasons in the last 18 years can usually be broken down into two seasons

Season 1 -- First 10 games -- at best Bengals are 3-7 by this point, but usually, they're worse. Much fretting occurs about how the team has no direction and that the players don't give a damn. Fans call on Mike Brown to make changes.
    Season 2 -- Last 6 games -- this is when the Bengals usually decide to start playing and go 5-1 or 4-2. These wins are usually against teams that aren't playing for anything. Still, Mike Brown decides no real changes or improvements need to be made.

REPEAT

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True that, Freelance. I was absolutely positive the Bengals would win their last three games this season, per that axiom plus a mediocre schedule.

Draft saved Draft deleted