1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Change at Deseret News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Internal memo passed along through the Pipeline, SE there is out (are they calling it a promotion?)

Dave Schneider becomes assistant managing editor for LDS faith and culture. Dave will oversee the existing Church News as well as several anticipated new publications targeting the LDS-oriented audience.

Aaron Shill becomes acting sports editor with full oversight of the Sports department.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Here's the memo.

http://poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=12953

3. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Maybe a lateral promotion. A former SE of mine was "promoted" to Asst. News Editor, even though he had no desire change desks. That move was made out of spite because the ME there was, well, spiteful. Hope that's not the case at Deseret.

4. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

That is certainly true. And for a Salt Lake paper, the AME for LDS faith and culture is not a crap job. I just hope that's what Dave wanted.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I would think that being in charge of LDS news at that paper would be a promotion.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Interesting news. I don't know Aaron, though. Just some of the other editors. Dave's a good guy and he's been around the paper for a while.

7. Is Salt Lake basically a two-paper town with the Deseret News and the Tribune? I've never quite understood it. I guess I always thought the News was like a state newspaper and the Tribune was the metro. Accurate?

Draft saved Draft deleted