1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Championship Week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Mar 3, 2007.

1. joe king

joe king Active Member

Never use the word ``interestingly'' in a story or column. If you have to tell the reader something is interesting, it probably isn't. Such as this fact about VMI's starting lineup. Are you trying to say it's a young team? Texas starts four freshmen and a sophomore, and the Longhorns are a lot better than the Keydets.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

What if the next George Mason is ... George Mason? The Patriots beat Hofstra yesterday, so two more wins and here we go again.

Obviously, I don't think they're getting past today's opponent (look to your left).

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

VMI's inexperience was one of the reasons that its coach went to the radical high-scoring game. He knew the team wouldn't win with a conventional game.

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Um, what? I wasn't aware that you were considering me for a columnist job. I hope this hasn't ruined my chances! But, since you bring it up, I wasn't writing a column. I used the word to indicate that it was a fact that piqued my interest. Perhaps I should have written "a point that I find interesting is that." Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'll assume that you're someone with a keen interest in developing my writing rather than some ass who finds it necessary to belittle people based upon their posts.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Hopefully not Weber State.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Interestingly, I think the word is OK in message-board posts. :)

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That sucks. I wanted to see them make the tournament, if not for last year's omission but for a huge fan around these parts. SI.com tied it up pretty nicely with a piece on Loren Stokes following last night's loss.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bill_trocchi/03/04/caa.quarters/index.html

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That and his overall lack of talent. Reggie Williams and the Holmes twins are very good, but put them in a half-court game and some of their plusses are negated. The rest of the players on that team are borderline Division I at best. He'll go back to the system next year once he gets some more depth. That killed them toward the end, and ultimately, that's why Duggar made the switch come tourney time. Certainly worked. Getting to that game against Winthrop was the best anyone in that league really hoped for, anyway.

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I genuinely don't understand what you mean. What was so special to Mason's story? If you're just talking about the path they took, beating all those giants and getting to the Final Four, then yes obviously that was amazing, but certainly another team could do that this year. Just not sure why this team's story wouldn't be as great... was there more to the Mason story?

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Or I could be both.

11. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Thanks for mailing it in ODU!

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hey ODU say hi to N.C. State in the NIT.

Draft saved Draft deleted