1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Championship Week

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Mar 3, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Wanted: The next George Mason.

Who's going to make get in? What are the names to know?

I'm starting with a VMI-Winthrop game. There's talk that Winthrop wants in even if they lose. VMI, interestingly, starts two sophs, a freshman and two juniors. They also have the nation's top scorer.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's because VMI runs and runs all day with a fast tempo. They don't play defense down in Lexington.

Winthrop is in almost no matter what. And I heard Oc on a podcast agree that they could end up being a Mason-like team this year.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Actually, the VMI system is not a carbon copy of the Loyola-Marymount fast-paced game. VMI actually plays a lot of pressure defense and traps frequently. The Keydets play a heck of a lot more defense than LMU played.

4. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Cinderellas? There's always one.

But no one has George Mason's story this year.

Someone could even be better, but their story won't be like Mason's.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, but that kind of seems like a slight to what George Mason did last season. That storyline simply doesn't happen every season.

6. HeinekenMan

I believe they said VMI was about to set a new NCAA record for steals in a season.

This is a good game, but I'm not convinced that VMI can continue the pace that Winthrop has set.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

VMI switched gears this week knowing they couldn't win games in the conference tournament by running at people. It's worked pretty well. They've played a lot of zone and half-court offense, completely opposite of what they did in the regular season.

8. HeinekenMan

And we have controversy for the first time. By the way, how did I manage to put this thread in the wrong place. Dear Moderator, this is your opportunity to move a thread, assuming that you haven't done so. Consider it your training camp.

By the way, awesome news here. I haven't really had more than three days to myself since I moved to my new state nearly two years ago. But I just learned that my wife is going to her father's for spring break. She's taking the two kids. And I'm going on a 70-mile hike, which will be followed by watching every televised minute of the first and second round of the Tournament. I believe she's due back on Sunday evening, so I might have to end my week of freedom by hitting a bar just before the last few teams stake their bid for the Final Four.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Bubble teams holding their breath over SoCon final.

Edit: Now breathing a little easier.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Anyone else hoping Billy Packer gets assigned the Missouri Valley final tomorrow as karmic penance for bitching up a storm about the Valley getting four or five teams in last year? He'll probably do Duke-Carolina but a boy can dream, right?

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Championship Week! March 1-11! Don't miss any of the 11 days in this great week!

12. HeinekenMan

Hey, that's a long way, now that you mention it.

Draft saved Draft deleted