1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Champ Car/Indy/F1 running thread II (Montreal, Turkey, IRL to RACE Daytona?!?)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 20, 2006.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Re: Champ Car/Indy/F1 running thread II

Tape delay from MIS at midnight ET on ESPN2. Better than nothin'.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Not if your wife is you are unwilling to pay for TV, and therefore don't get ESPN2.

This sucks. What is ABC losing out on ... the 27th rerun of some lame-@$$ show, or is World News Tonight *that* important on a Sunday?

If this happened in a NASCAR race, there would be riots in the streets of Birmingham and Charlotte.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Damn. I turned off San Jose before the fight.

That is the worst "race course" in the world. Last year it was amusing, but now it's just pathetic.

And for a quick F1 note: Schumacher may still be second in the standings, but I think he's going to win championship number 8 pretty easily. And I'm not enjoying the prospect of that.

4. crimsonace

IRL thoughts ...

Vitor Meira might as well be given the Dale Earnhardt "Anything but first s*cks" award. 7 second-place finishes, 0 victories. From radio, it sounded like he might've had a chance to catch Helio if he'd have had three or four more laps. Still, another good run by the low-budget Panther team, and Meira holds onto fifth in the standings (ahead of all four AGR cars).

Helio ... yawn. It was obvious who the top two cars were all day. But it's a big turn because Hornish had engine trouble, finished 19th, and hands his big lead over to Castroneves. It's now Helio +8 over Hornish, +17 over Wheldon (who finished third today).

Vision had a good day, Scheckter fifth, Carpenter seventh, splitting Scott Sharp.

A.J. Foyt announced Jeff Bucknum will drive his car in '07 and has hired a new engineer (the first, I'm not so sure about, especially with the number of talented young drivers out there ... the second, an indication that Foyt Racing might be moving out of the 1960s). A.J. is apparently backing away from some of the race operations and bringing Larry Foyt on to have a greater role (that might include some driving).

IRL car count up to 19 with Marty Roth in the field. He finished the race without hitting anything, though he did seem to be trying to avoid being a moving chicane at a few key times.

5. crimsonace

FYI, since it hadn't been brought up here yet, CCWS introduced a new Panoz-built chassis for 2007.

The thing looks a bit odd, but it appears to be meant to be smaller (for a lot of street racing), cheaper and cut down on the "dirty air" behind the cars that makes it difficult to race by producing its downforce through means other than the wings.

It looks a bit odd -- with a high nose that is more reminiscent of an F1 car than any Indy/Champ car chassis that has been produced in the last 30 years. The endplates on the rear wing are *enormous*. It also has *very* little space on the sidepods/engine cover for sponsors, which might be a liability for a series that's struggling. It also has a paddle shifter, which will make things a bit easier for the drivers (not necessarily good from a competition standpoint), and an on-board starter -- something virtually no open-wheel car in America has ever had (which is a *very* good thing).

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=10649

The CCWS fan base is hoping this chassis is the thing that finally makes the racing world start paying attention to their series and makes the IRL go away. In reality, it probably will be used in some form post-merger (which looks to be likely for 2008).

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

What took someone (anyone) in open wheel racing so long to realize having a starter in the car was a good idea? Congrats to CC for joining the 20th century. IRL, over to you. F1, too (I think).

7. PCLoadLetter

I could be mistaken... but for F1 I believe it's a weight issue. The teams don't want them.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

They advanced an interesting theory on the broadcast today which speculated that Bridgestone handles the heat better than Michelin. Which means Ferrari could dominate again at Hungary and Turkey. Might the worm turn by September?

Maybe, but Renault is sniping at Michelin, so one wonders.

And for the first time, I was really impressed with Felipe Massa today. Damn shame Ferrari won't give in to team orders, I think Massa would have given Schumacher more than a fight.

9. PCLoadLetter

I think it would be really interesting to see what Massa could do in a competitive role. He doesn't seem to have any trouble keeping up with Michael, and clearly that's all he's allowed to do.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He sucked early in the year, but he's got his act together. It was amazing how he stuck with Schumacher today, and was probably ordered to slow down nearly beat Schumacher out of the pits on the first round of stops.

11. Jeff Gluck

Jeff Gluck Member

I'm impressed about the F1 knowledge on this board. I know nothing about F1, judging by these comments. Oh well, I'm learning.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Just let the IRL and CCWS come together and put together a real, competitive domestic open-wheel series already.

While we're at it, someone tell the winged sprint-car guys (namely WoO) to get their heads out of their asses, too. It's asinine that Steve Kinser, one of the greatest drivers of the last two generations for his mastery of dirt, participates in a series that's running on a bunch of tracks that make a back-yard quarter-mile look like Daytona. And that only happened because WoO is inept and won't put more money into promotion and purses.

Draft saved Draft deleted