1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenges of covering a veteran college team

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pringle, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

The SID I'm around puts it in these players' heads that the media is a nuisance and he asks them to do interviews in a way that makes them dread it. "Can you do me a favor and come talk to these reporters for like 5 minutes? It won't be any longer than that. You get a free lunch out of it."

A good SID would pimp an interview up as being added exposure toward the players career. It's all the reflection of the head coach, though, and many of them in college football are, to be blunt, assholes.

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

New on a college beat. Need advice. We get no access (once a week). How do you write something different from everyone else when you get the exact same quotes.

I don't think I have ever spent 10 minutes alone with a player without another media guy coming in and jumping the interview. And I end up doing it too because you have 5 days of garbage to write.

How do ya'll veterans deal with it? It is easy in a sense because you write like a robot. But I do like writing good stories.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's NO after practice access? That blows.

4. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

Well, that and opposable thumbs.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bat, love you man but shrink the sig. A lot.
    Thanks.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you cover a college team and you can't think of story ideas you've got problems...

There's always something interesting happening on a college campus.

If you can't think of your own ideas, go on the Internet and read the AJC or the KC Star, which in my opinion cover colleges as well as anyone...

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I usually make it through an entire regular season with more than enough story ideas, and I have a byline 7 days a week.

That month between regular season and bowl can get a little thin, though. Especially when the access is limited like it is on my beat.

The coach I cover would prefer no media attention, and then 75,000 fans at the games.

Draft saved Draft deleted