1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chalk

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Satchel Pooch, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

WTF?

I heard Mike, Mike and Dick Vitale mention the bracket being chalk this year three times in the span of 10 minutes this morning.

I heard my local sports guy mention chalk. I heard it on SportsCenter.

I have no idea what this means. Is this a new thing this year that everyone's saying all of a sudden?

2. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

I've heard if for a few years now. I have no idea of the orgin, but basically it means the predictable has pretty much happened. Pretty much all the top seeds have moved on in the tournament and there weren't any notable upsets yet.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wow, do you kiddies need an education.

Chalk is an old gambling term for the favorite.

This was the best I could find as to it origin:

Chalk - When a horse is the favorite -- or has the most money bet on it -- that horse is termed the "chalk." Interestingly, this term comes from the pre-computer era of the bookie. When a bookie recorded bets on a blackboard, the odds would change over and over as more and more people bet on the favorite. The horse became known as the "chalk" because the horse's name would disappear in chalk dust as the bookie constantly erased and lowered the horse's odds.

4. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Now, what was life like before light bulbs?

;D

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Kids these days, sprnited. ;)

6. John

John Well-Known Member

Forde has used it a couple of times recently and Wetzel used it in his column today (or yesterday).

It's an somewhat obscure expression -- at least for the younger generation (or morons like me, apparently) -- but it's getting a lot of play lately.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The "PTI" guys have used it this week, too. Seems like the phrase of the week.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

The prognosticator that my paper uses to supply us with the lines and predictions uses it all the time. It drives me crazy.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why would it dirve you crazy Joe? It is a long used and commonly accepted term among gamblers .. and who are you running betting lines for if not the gamblers?

10. For us old guys, spirited. That's who.
    Next week on "Know Your Elders" -- spirited and F_B tell tales of Grantland Rice and the Vikings.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Would that be the Fran Tarkenton Vikings or the Joe Kapp Vikings?

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sheesh, I didn't think it was a generational thing. I know "chalk" but I'm not ancient.

But yes, I'll agree it's being used even more than normal during this NCAA run. People are just trying to be cute.

Draft saved Draft deleted