1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chad Millman New ESPN the Mag EIC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, Apr 12, 2011.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/127617/millman-to-become-editor-in-chief-of-espn-the-magazine/

2. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

Who cares? That mag is a rag anymore. I'm all for a theme issue on occasion, but every issue? It's overkill and boring, IMO.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You'll go far here.

4. newinthefield

newinthefield Member

What's worse is that my folks renewed my subscription until 2015 not too long ago...

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You'll certainly not find a single article worth reading between now and then.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't agree with that at all. Well, you might not find a single article if you're distracted by the charts, colors, Q&As and other garbage that distracts from any actual good writing.

There is good writing in there, it's just almost never promoted and usually hidden.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

A two-dump magazine at best.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Agreed. Maybe Mr Millman can help The Mag decide what it wants to be when it grows up. It shows flashes of brilliance that gets lost in the junk.

Fiction issue was perfect example. There was some great stuff that just go buried.

You really have to work to find the good articles.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Wickersham's Jake Locher story in the most recent edition was really good.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am exposed to ESPN: The Magazine at the waiting room at Jiffy Lube, so I read it every 5000 miles. I agree with the others who say that there's some good writing and interesting subject matter in almost every issue, and that it's like digging through radioactive waste for the eyes to find it.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Of course, SI sucks much worse since there are 10 times as many threads on here ripping on it.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I know Millman only as the gambling guy on The B.S. Report. What's his background otherwise?

I get The Mag as part of my ESPN Insider subscription. It's got an interesting feature or analysis piece every now and again, but I have to admit that it often sits on my coffee table unopened for a week before I get around to it. That was never the case when I was an SI subscriber.

Draft saved Draft deleted