1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFP Championship Game Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 2, 2015.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They want it to be on a Monday night every year. Next year it will be on Jan. 11, and Jan. 9 in 2017.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There's only so much hype the human brain can absorb. ESPN has been broadcasting from Dallas-Ft. Worth since January 2nd, and I haven't watched more than a snippet here and there. All last week, there were eight big markets where the NFL was wholly dominant. New England is the worst college football market, so the fact nobody here cares isn't that relevant, but I bet relatively few people in Denver and, yes, Dallas are really up for watching another game tonight. I'm sure the ratings will be excellent, but I don't think they'll be quite as excellent as they were on New Year's Day.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The game is such a snore that Mike & Mike resorted to guest unfunnyman Jimmy Kimmel to SPICE THINGS UP! Maybe The Godfather is on tonight.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I can speak to this as an avowed fanboi of one of the two teams involved. Maybe it's just that college football really is just that different from the NFL. The games, particularly the bigger ones, are so much more....emotional, maybe? Never dreamed I'd say this about a NC game, but the whole thing just seems.....anti climactic, almost??

Look at tOSU's last 3 games. HUGE rivalry game, no matter what the records are, vs. Michigan. HUGE conference championship game, making up for last years debacle/lost opportunity...with a 3rd string QB. MEGA HUGE Sugar Bow / SEC "monkey on the back" game, vs. Alabama.

Call me nuts, but it's hard to stay "up" for it all. Feels like there's a national "hangover", from the semis.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Layman, I think you'd be jacked up if this were a week after the Alabama game. But now it's ancient history, a tack-on. Gets lost in all the NFL and other January stuff going on.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Get your money down now.......6.5........probably going to end at 7.5..........

I still say 47-31 Ducks.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think it will take a few seasons for college FB fans to get used to having a "meaningful" game a week (or more) after the big New Year's bowl games. Usually it's just filler like a senior all-star game by this point.

And Layman, I'm a Big 10 guy all the way ... but I see the Ducks winning this one. Hopefully will be as good a game as OSU-Bama.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

In my heart, I think Oregon is just better this season.

Ohio State has certainly proven they deserve to be there, having beaten Alabama and Michigan State, who will likely finish 3rd & 5th/6th. Still, I just think they're a year away and Cardale...while a good story....isn't Mariota.

As much as I'd love to be celebrating in the wee hours of tomorrow morning, doubt I will be. Hard to be disappointed in the season, though.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I will be curious to see if Urban turns it all loose, and lets Cardale throw it all over Dallas.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think the line on this game is pretty accurate. Oregon has the better team, but Ohio State has an ace in the hole with Meyer. Helfrich has done a great job coaching, but this is his first rodeo whereas Meyer has been on this stage and won. If Meyer wins with a third-string QB making his third start against the best player of the year in college football (Mariota), Meyer cements his status alongside Saban as one of the elite college coaches. If Oregon wins, I don't think Helfrich reaches the same level because he'll have won with Mariota.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tom Rinaldi has already worn me out

Draft saved Draft deleted