1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFP Championship Game Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 2, 2015.

1. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

I would think so.
    P.S. Is the 1987 Fiesta Bowl still the highest-rated college football game ever?

2. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Actually, Oregon's the 84th ranked (total defense) in the country. Right behind Purdue and Hawaii.

Little nugget re: Ohio State. They've now beaten 5 of the top 13 total defenses in the country, averaging 45 PPG in those match ups.

I like Oregon in the game, just feels the their year. As Chef says, though.....take the over.....

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Something like 47-31 Oregon.

Plenty of points will be scored.

4. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

Still in Vegas this morning, lots of talk re: the opening line. Seems like most of the books feel like the "true" line is between 4.5 & 6. Opened it big, in order to get it bet down.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oregon is a very good defense. Those stats are due to the fact that they play such up-tempo that they give the other team a few more possessions every game; and they are often ahead by so much that their second and third string get huge minutes. (In the starkest example, they took a 42-10 fourth-quarter lead on UCLA in a game that ended 42-30.)

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Over/Under started at 70.5.........now getting bet up to 73.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Ah crap. Thanks.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It still is. It got a 24.9. USC-Texas got a 21.7. Last year's game got a 15.7.

Having the west coast watching will be huge. I could see it beating USC-Texas, but I don't think it will beat Penn State-Miami.

9. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

I understand they're better than the ranking, but 84th is still 84th. They're not the only team in the country who rolled out to big leads, emptied the bench & let the backups play. Plus, it's not as if their 2nd team D is 11 walk ons.

In any case, my point was that Ohio State has run up against a lot of good defenses this season & had a ton of success. I'd anticipate that continuing in the NC game. This one's going to be a (IMO) huge shoot out. Wouldn't shock me to see 85-90 combined.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if it beats anything that was on network. There's a huge difference going to cable, even now.

West Coast won't be a big factor. Not like it's California, and the game starts in the middle of rush hour.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, the 1987 Fiesta Bowl was also the first bowl to intentionally schedule itself after New Year's Day (not counting years when Jan. 1 was a Sunday and the major bowls were on Jan. 2) in order to have a "championship" game alone in prime time.

So blame them for ruining New Year's Day football.

12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Is there an allotment of tickets for each school, or did the championship game already sell out, before even the final four teams were known?

I would hope they held out 5-10K tickets for each of the two finalist schools to dole out. Fans shouldn't have to rely on Taco Bell marketing gimmicks to have a shot at a ticket ... :rolleyes:

Draft saved Draft deleted