1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFP Championship Game Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jan 2, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, my favorite all-time day of college football was when Oklahoma beat Penn State in the Orange Bowl in 1986. Every single big game that day had national title implications. Yesterday wasn't quite that good, but it was close.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is actually better than the old days in a way, since you don't have meaningful games (most notably the Orange and Sugar Bowls) airing simultaneously.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Jan. 1, 1979 was also a pretty good day

Cotton Bowl: Notre Dame's crazy comeback win over Houston

Rose Bowl: Charles White's phantom TD vs. Michigan (not Ohio State)

Orange Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Nebraska rematch

Sugar Bowl: Alabama's goal line stand vs. No. 1 Penn State

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yup that was a good one.
    Joe Montana to Kris Haines
    and Barry Krause nailing Mike Guman at goal line to seal game for 'bama.
    https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...rause+mike+guman&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

5. RecoveringJournalist

We used to stack the TVs. This was before Picture in Picture.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The 1985 "Wagons on The Field " Always tickled me. Oka / Washington when
    Oka got a delay of game penalty for their wagon being on field

at around 32 min mark

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This relies on the benefit of hindsight, but I'm not sure you can say Baylor deserves a shot and Michigan State does not when Michigan State beat Baylor.

8. RecoveringJournalist

Right. I was going off what we knew going into the bowl games. Baylor and TCU had one loss, Michigan State and Mississippi State had two.

As we know from the NCAA tournament, it doesn't matter if you're taking two teams, four teams or 68, someone is going to feel like they got screwed.

9. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

The "phantom touchdown" was actually against Michigan (CW single-handedly beat Ohio State in the 1980 Rose Bowl), but I get your point.
    College football really nailed it by sync-ing the playoff system with the bowls and returning Jan. 1 to its former glory.
    Yesterday marked the first time since 1994 the national champion played on New Year's Day.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Thoughts on the process aside, you couldn't ask for a better matchup. Two teams that epitomize what college football has become.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I believe I saw this morning Oregon is the seven-point favorite. Sounds about right. When Oregon is fully healthy, they have too many weapons on offense, in particular Mariota. Plus they actually do have a defense.
    OSU's big advantage is Meyer. No offense to Helfrich and his staff, since they have been making great calls all year. But Meyer has the experience and success in the big settings that Helfrich doesn't yet.

12. RecoveringJournalist

Biggest ratings since the 2006 title game?

Draft saved Draft deleted