1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB's overtime rules are ridiculous

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I think that a winner of an NFL overtime game should be required to score at least four points.

And, then, 60+-yard FGs should be worth four points.

2. Faithless

Faithless Member

I'd like to see an OT rule that combines what the NFL, college football and our state high school association now have in place.

-Put 15 minutes on the clock and flip a coin at midfield. Team A wins the toss and decides to receive the kickoff.
    -If Team A scores on the first OT drive, it kicks off to the opponent. If Team B fails to score on its first possession or fails to match what 'A' scored on its possession, the game is over.
    -If Team A fails to score, punts the ball, and Team B scores on its first drive, the game is over.
    -If neither team scores on its first possession, the OT becomes sudden death. The first one who scores wins.
    -If no one scores after the OT period, then go a "shootout" - put the ball the 10 (instead of the 25) and give them four downs to score. Alternate possesions like they do with the college OT. First one to score or score the most in the extra OT rounds wins.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Huge difference. The basketball OT format of simply going another 5 minutes does not outrageously skew the stat-lines like the gimmicky (albeit tremendously exciting) system used in football. The record books at many schools have been grossly delegitimized by these OT shootouts.

That said, I like the fball OT system, its great drama and fun to watch, but really not fair at all to credit those numbers to the players normal game stats. It's somewhat analogous to the shootout system used to decide deadlocked international soccer games--its damn exciting to watch and works pretty well, but those obviously aren't legitimately earned goals and aren't credited as such.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

My idea...

Put 7:00 on the clock, give each team one extra timeout, and play the full time.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Put 10 minutes on the clock and have the coaches engage in a pie-eating contest.

Viva Mangino!

6. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

How about this for NFL overtime:

If you kick a field goal in overtime to take the lead, the opposing team is allowed one possession to either kick a field goal (to continue the game) or score a touchdown (to win it).
    If a team scores a touchdown with the first possession in overtime, game over.

Only thing that might be confusing is a safety. However, I say if your defense is good enough to get a safety, you should be allowed to win it like that and not give the opposing team a possession.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

If your defense recorded a safety, that team's offense would be getting the ball back pronto, anyway.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Institute the Tug-of-War minigame from NCAA Football 07/08. Start the ball at the 50, teams alternate plays, first to score wins.

9. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

That's why you should be able to instantly win the game with a safety. It does away with the confusion of giving the ball to the team who's already ahead.

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

In theory, that could mean a Notre Dame-Kansas hammerlock on the polls for years to come.... who wants that?

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I think Maryland would have to be in the mix, as well.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And St. Louis might start a football program for this ...

Draft saved Draft deleted