1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB Week 11 running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Nov 4, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Remember, the assumption is that Oklahoma and Texas wins out, and Texas Tech loses only to OU.

You can't take Texas, because Texas Tech beat them head-to-head.
    You can't take Texas Tech, because Oklahoma beat them head-to-head.
    You can't take Oklahoma, because Texas beat them head-to-head.

So either you watch the equivelent of a dog chasing its tail for all eternity, or you come up with an outside tiebreaker. That's where the BCS standings come in, and that's where OU's out of conference schedule gives them a good shot. (Although the Horns will also have a powerful case, having beaten a Mizzou squad that neither of the other two teams played.)

Edit: Damnit MM!

2. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

There we go. And that brings up my next question: If Texas Tech loses, will anyone rank them ahead of Texas and Oklahoma? If not, doesn't that basically eliminate TT from the conversation, leaving Texas and Oklahoma.

At this point I'm rooting for Texas Tech to run the table, but if they don't beat OK with a national championship berth on the line, does anyone really want to give them another bite of the apple?

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't see Oklahoma passing Texas in the BCS, without a Texas loss. Maybe the Horns will struggle in one of their final two games, but right now none of the computer polls has the Sooners within two places of Texas - oddly enough the Colley Matrix has Texas ranked over Texas Tech. But right now OU is a full .100 behind Texas.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Any system for deciding a sports competition that has the word "matrix" in it, even tangentially, is hopelessly fucked.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Any system as stupid as the BCS is royally screwed.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Oh man, I'm so there. Wannstache might have an aneurysm trying to stop that offense.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Turns out, it's tiebreaker No. 5 -- which could easily be reached if Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma finish in a three-way tie.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/oklahoma/stories/110308dnspobig12tiebreakers.3a7c951.html

8. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Well then be interested in that. Meanwhile we'll talk about how it is done.

9. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Why thank you. That's very helpful. But I return to my original point. I would likely base my ranking of Texas in the BCS by their head to head performances with the other two schools: decisive victory against OU, narrow loss to TT. Unless, of course, TT and OU go to the wire. Then my whole system is fucked.

Let's pray for TT to win.

And Oz, what would you do if TT or the other two won the South but lost the conference championship? No one else will speculate with me.

10. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

La-di-da

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It's cause he can't imagine Mizzou winning the Big 12. Not that I really can either...

Draft saved Draft deleted