1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 14, 2014.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about the Florida job - if it comes open - if not Mullen..then who? Strong won't leave UT. I think he's gone through the worst part with Texas, hell, the Horns were applauded after the Oklahoma loss.
    I'm trying to think of a current HC from a P5 program who Florida would want and would want Florida and the Gators won't go after a hot mid-major again...though maybe Todd Graham can conjure up some Florida connections.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bob Stoops.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So when does Bret Beilema's seat start getting hot. I understand it's Arkansas but they haven't won an SEC game since he got there.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The Alabama loss kept his seat a little bit cooler. Arkansas IS substantially better than year than last year as he builds his system.

My biggest gripe with him, from his Wisconsin days, was that he coached scared against more talented teams (going for OT instead of trying to win games late) and that he was a train wreck on clock management and time-outs. During the Russell Wilson year, Wisconsin would have been playing in the national title game if not for two hail-marys against them. Both were self-inflicted losses as Bielema was calling excessive timeouts.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

i think Foley might be done with hiring defensive guys (Muschamp, Zook).

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure that would be a deal breaker if Stoops wanted the job.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Couple things with Stoops A) he just signed an extension this spring (hey, quit laughing) and B) Don't know if he'd want to go into a conference where his brother is a head coach.

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I think I said this earlier on the thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mark Stoops is a candidate for the UF job.

After that Homecoming loss to Missouri, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a press conference this week, but maybe Foley will wait until the Georgia game, hoping Muschamp pulls off a miracle.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't see the Gators making a move before they hit the seven-loss mark.

10. RecoveringJournalist

It's kind of telling, if you ask me. I think Foley still thinks Muschamp can turn it around, which is really scary.

Foley famously said, "Something that needs to be done eventually should be done immediately." when he fired Ron Zook.

The mid-season firing in college can be a very smart move if there is a specific coach you're targeting. I don't think that guy exists this year. If Foley truly wanted Mullen, he'd have fired Muschamp and would be feeling out his agent to find out what it would take to get him.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Stop it.

12. RecoveringJournalist

It's really tough for the top programs to find coaches these days.

Texas is one of the richest programs in the country. How many coaches passed on that job before Strong took it?

Draft saved Draft deleted