1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Don't forget the "Mike Shanahan" to Gainesville rumors that always fly out of Hogtown.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's kind of hard to be a legend at a place when the two guys who have won titles there are still coaching.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

After the Washington fiasco Shanahan is unemployable in the NFL. But if you are a program like Kansas and want to make an impact do you take a shot at him" Does Shanahan want to coach or play golf?

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Legend may be to strong but if two guys won national titles there it does confirm my point that it is place you can win multiple titles.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Kansas just tried the "big name to make an impact" hire and fired him two weeks ago. KU will likely go a different direction this time. If Bowen doesn't win the job, I'd expect them to take a long look at coordinator at a big-time program, similar to the Mangino hire. If not that, I like Georgia Southern's Willie Fritz as a potential sleeper pick.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

For those in the 913 that think they have a shot at Harbaugh, think again. I know his wife is from Olathe, very close....yada yada......not gonna happen.

Bowen would be wise to get his feet wet somewhere as a HC, then possibly come back years down the road, but not now.

Now's the chance to pluck Leach out of Pullman. Something exciting to watch. And he will be hell bent on beating the krap out of everyone else in the Big 12.....especially Tech.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I'm not convinced Shanahan is unemployable in the NFL. He has two titles and could try to blame everything that went wrong in Washington on Snyder.

I'm guessing he doesn't coach again. A college team would be insane to hire him, he'd be there 2-3 years tops whether he's successful or not.

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Mack Brown hasn't said that he won't be coaching again next year. I've heard rumblings of him ending up at SMU. Is it viable that (a) he end up on a sideline somewhere next year, and (b) it's as SMU?

I'll hang up and listen.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Is it viable? Sure. It would be a low-pressure job for a guy playing out the string, plus it's in a major metro area in the state where the guy has lived and worked for 15 years. SMU has tons of rich booster money to throw around and because of its well-deserved inferiority complex, doesn't mind trying to make a splash by throwing said money at big names (see June Jones and Larry Brown).

It would surely be up to Mack. If he's not happy just being a TV guy and loves the whole lifestyle/dynamic of being Coach, it could happen.

I have no idea what the odds are on that, but it is certainly viable.

10. RecoveringJournalist

I could see that happening at SMU. I don't see a bigger program wanting Brown since he's probably not planning on coaching more than 3-4 years, but for a school like SMU it's a no-brainer.

11. RecoveringJournalist

The problem with Leach is that he hasn't exactly set the world on fire at WSU.

I still think he'd be a great get for KU.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Pullman is incredibly remote and probably the toughest place to recruit to in the Pac-12.

In the Big XII, Lawrence is a close second to Austin on "best places to go to college" (and I'm partial to Lawrence). If Leach builds a decent program, Kansas should be far easier to recruit to than Iowa State, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Kansas State.

Draft saved Draft deleted