1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CFB coaching carousel

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 14, 2014.

1. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Depends on what Mullen wants. He could stay at State, build a perennial powerhouse in the mold of Bill Snyder and have them build a statue of him outside the stadium when he's finished. He'll never have that at Florida, or anywhere else he goes.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm guessing there are probably 7-10 coaches who will get huge raises just to keep them out of the mix at Florida and Michigan.

It may be some of the same people who got raises to stay out of the mix at Tennessee, USC and Texas in recent years.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Hell, a year ago.....everyone was saying that another bad year would have seen him go to Columbus to be Meyers OC.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Let me get this right...

Buffalo fires Quinn after an 8-5 season and when they start out 3-4.

Does the bottom line for the Buffalo Bulls make THAT much of a difference whether they are 3-4 or 5-2? Is their fan base hanging on every Saturday (or Tuesday or Thursday or whenever they play?)

The barometer for a UB football coach should be simple. Just keep pace with the Bills on wins through Thanksgiving.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Because of the RichRod fiasco it's likely the pool of potential candidates will be restricted to people with former U-M ties (basically the only reason Hoke got the job). So that will cut down the field considerably.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You mean a state school different than the one he's currently coaching at?

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I suspect that Michigan may have learned about "Michigan Men" the same thing that Alabama did about "Bear's Boys". You're better off going out and hiring the best coach you can. If there are ties to the school, so much the better, and it does not mean that you don't consider that... but you make the best hire you can.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Quinn's biggest mistake at UB was not being hired by the current AD, who wants to make his mark, and then move on after using UB as a steppingstone.The AD also fired Reggie Witherspoon, a good, respected (but not great) basketball coach who consistently won more than he lost.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Michigan likely doesn't draw a top candidate with AD Brandon making the hire. There's actually a decent chance he's not the one making the hire too.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would like to start the first Jon Gruden rumor of the thread. I think he would be an ideal candidate at Florida, Michigan, Kansas, Buffalo. He lives in Florida and I think he spent part of his childhood along in Northern Ohio, which is not that far from Ann Arbor, so that makes him a credible candidate for Florida and Michigan. I am still working working on some tenuous tie the other three.

I think there are very few schools that offer the potential to be a national championship virtually every year. I don't think Mississippi State is such a school. Mullen can stay in Starksville and be another Bill Synder. Or he can go somewhere else and have a decent shot at being the next Nick Saban. Gainesville is one of the places that you can be a legend. Florida has a lot larger in-state recruiting pool and Gainesville is a far more attractive place for a national recruit to go.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

At the risk of stating the obvious, coaching in Starkville is not a destination job.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Mullen to Michigan makes some sense, going against Meyer, he can recruit the South, leaving for another school in conference is kind of looked down upon, and he could win at Michigan consistently. And they can pay him $5 mil a year. Don't underestimate the impact RichRod's success at Arizona right now might have on the decision by "Michigan Men."
    MSU wouldn't have any shortage of takers either. The problem is MSU isn't just the step-child of the SEC, it's the stepchild of Mississippi. I do wonder what their pitches to athletes who have offers from other SEC West schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted