1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CEO Vivian Schiller out at NPR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So how was he taped? Legally?

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wait, she's resigning for something somebody else said?

As far as the "sting," how is this situation any different than a TV undercover report that uses a hidden camera? 60 Minutes has been doing that forever.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But were those people breaking the law when they were being recorded?

I guess maybe I should not be so questioning of the hidden camera, especially after the Wisconsin thing, but at least he was a public figure.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm all for accountability in journalism.

I think NPR might be most valuable in those areas underserved by radio. When you are travelling in the hinterlands you normally have three choices, righty talk, religious, and NPR.
    I'm not a daily listener, but it's a must on weekend mornings.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Is it possible that NPR in fact IS more balanced than everything else out there, just because everything else out there is skewed?

I think NPR's all for diverse viewpoints. What it's not going to do is what some, on all sides, are guilty of, which is allowing people to claim that blatantly false statements are "their opinion" and therefore worthy of air time. If I say the sky is green, I'm not entitled to equal consideration. That's not an opinion; that's just wrong.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

People really need to get over it. This country has far bigger problems than government money going to NPR. I love how my side is freaking out over net neutrality and the so-called "fairness doctrine" while, at the same time, trying to get rid of NPR by pulling the funding.

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

That is the argument I make to defend Fox News all the time...that they are actually balanced, but seem to lean right because of the leftward tilt of everything else.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So you're saying bias just might be in the eye of the beholder?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How would this guy not recognize O'Keefe.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You are not so good at arguing, then. How many times do you see NPR "misidentify" the political party of an official in trouble?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It was a couple of guys "working for" O'Keefe, not O'Keefe himself.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, NPR always gets the chyron's they put up the screen right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.