1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CEO Vivian Schiller out at NPR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, now it's officially news:

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

First thing the new CEO should do is make a splashy public offering of an hour-show to Sarah Palin -- at, of course, public media rates. That would be a win-win for NPR.
  3. YankeeFan

Since NPR was last in the news, I've found myself tuning into it more and more often.

I like a lot of its programming. They do longer takes on stories than other outlets and have some interesting interviews. I really like their interviews with musicians.

And, when the AM choices are Glenn Beck or the local guy on the other right wing station, it's a nice change of pace.

That said, it's pretty clear that their upper management is and has been very liberal.

They really should make an effort to have a more politically diverse group of people running the place.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

True. They should aim to make it much more fair and balanced.
  5. YankeeFan

I know you're being sarcastic, but what would be wrong with being more diverse?

It's a trust issue, and 50% of the country doesn't trust them right now.

The programming is by and large very good, but they have a perception problem and they should address it.
  6. TigerVols

As a loyal NPR listener, I'd like to argue that point...but I just can't. OK, I might dispute the 50% number, but I agree with the gist of your comment. And in fact, NPR is more liberal than most networks.

I agree with the dude in the sting -- they'd be better off cutting ties with the government, and relying on outside foundations for support.
  7. YankeeFan

It's always funny how these things play out, and it's interesting to watch how news organizations cover themselves when they are in the news.

here's the official statement:

But, kudos to David Folkenflik for reporting, and to NPR for updating their post with, this:

8. YankeeFan

Yeah, maybe not 50%, I just used that because the nation is currently pretty evenly divided politically.

(And, many people just ignore NPR. Maybe that would change too if they had more diversity and were better trusted.)
  9. TigerVols

NPR is the most diverse media outfit in the country, when you use the traditional, ethnicity/religion definition. You just want more conservative voices, which I agree are lacking. But that doesn't mean it can't continue to aggressively cover global climate change, stem cell research, women's issues, homosexual discrimination, and other issues that conservatives find anathema to them.
  10. YankeeFan

Yeah, by diversity, I hope it was clear that i was speaking solely about the politics -- or world view -- of their leadership.

And, I wouldn't expect them to drop any of that coverage. Though, they probably could add some more that would appeal to conservatives. I don't mean Fox News style "rah rah" stories or conspiracy stuff. But there are good stories to tell around the world and across the country.
  11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me the circumstances by which this was videotaped?

I have no problem with her stepping down. She has to be down the middle with coverage, especially at NPR, but I am really curious if this guy invaded her privacy and committed a crime.
  12. YankeeFan

She wasn't taped. Their top fundraiser, a guy with the same last name, who is unrelated to her was.

And, it was a "sting" by James O'Keefe, the same guy who went after ACORN.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.