1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

CEO pay vs average worker pay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, May 24, 2013.

1. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I do not know which WalMart you shop in, but the one that I go to about 10 times per year has lots of friendly and helpful employees who will NEVER work hard enough or study long enough to become a CEO. The reason is that they did not win a genetic lottery that would allow them to climb that hill.

CEOs and corporate execs make far more money than they need and far more money than is readily justifiable on the grounds of fairness/equity. However, it seems that coming up with mechanisms to cure the imbalance here may be worse than the imbalance itself.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Your first sentence in no way addressed my point. Would you like to try again?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think he's trying to say that your statement that, "Anyone with a certain baseline intelligence can, through hard work and study, acquire the knowledge and skills to become a CEO," is false.

Now, we can quibble about whether the average Walmart employee has "baseline intelligence", but I still think you're underestimating the skills and smarts required.

Now, maybe you can point to some CEO who is not a super genius. I'm sure you can. But he/she probably makes up for it in other areas. Maybe they're great at hiring good people to work for them. Maybe they have great ideas, and have others who can implement them.

I'm not sure someone like Richard Branson is an operational genius. And, I don't think he spends a lot of his time running his companies on a day to day basis. But, he's a marketing and branding genius. He's been able to license his brand, and be the big idea guy.

I'm not sure you can learn that from hard work.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

That's not what his first post said. He was comparing Kobe Bryant with a random guy from the Lakers PR department. Then he came back and scraped the bottom of the Walmart barrel. He moved the goalposts on me.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It may be "easier", but that doesn't make it easy. Newspapers as a whole were wildly successful around 2000. Doesn't mean it was easy to keep them that way.

It's easier to make a half-court shot than a three-quarters court shot. But that doesn't make the half-court shot easy.

The "average intelligence" person could not have steered the growth Walmart has seen in the past 15 years any more than the "average" person could have coached the Ravens to the Super Bowl championship.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Says who?

Wal-Mart is under pressure from its shareholders to grow earnings. Year after year.

As I pointed out, it's revenues last year exceeded Austria's GDP. You think it is a lot easier to grow earnings when something is that much of a behemoth than it is to start from scratch and, say, double sales?

What is the obvious business plan, then? You are Wal-Mart. You have pretty much blanketed everywhere you can with a store. You have squeezed suppliers about as far as you can squeeze them. On top of it, you are operating within a flagging economy and your bricks and mortar operations are having more and more trouble competing with online operations.

What is the obvious plan to keep growing earnings and revenues (from a baseline of $430+ billion)?

It's really not all that easy. If it was, companies wouldn't miss estimates as often as they do, and CEOs would be able to park themselves in those jobs for life.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Your point was that if somebody wanted to be a CEO, they should start their own company. You then used Mike Duke as an example. Which would be fine, if Mike Duke had started his own company. He didn't.

Or, to put it another way, when Mike Duke became CEO, he started on third base and his team is already up 15-0. A lot different from somebody who starts with nothing and builds it up.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

WTF?

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

These people with a "certain baseline intelligence" may not have the drive or the capacity to work or the ability to negotiate or make a deal or call someone's bluff . . . because they are not wired that way. "Genetics" is a little more than a big fucking bicep.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mike Duke didn't start on third base with his team already up 15-0. When he stepped in, there was an expectation that he would grow earnings. Year after year. It's more like he has the football and a guy with 4.3 speed is in constant pursuit.

I'll ask again. Let's put you on third base, up 15-0, if that is how you see it. Wal-Mart had consolidated net sales of $466.1 billion last year. It grew earnings per share by 10.6 percent.

You are CEO Baron Sciciuna. You are presiding over an operation that would be in the top 30 economies in the world, if it was a country. Your shareholders are looking to you to grow earnings per share another 10 to 15 percent this year. Your bricks and mortar operations are having more and more trouble competing in an online world. You have stores just about everywhere already in the U.S. that you can have them. You are squeezing your suppliers as far as you can.

Give me your easy peasy plan for earning 10 percent more this year than you did last year?

It's easy, right? I put you on third base up 15-0, according to you.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Which word confused you?

12. He's not doing a great job. Walmart is missing profit goals and same-store sales have been declining for a few years. Just wait as Walmart doubles down on not fixing its logistical problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted