1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Census: Minorities are the new majority

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 17, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Census figures now show that more minority babies are born in the U.S. than white babies. They also estimate that non-Hispanic whites will be a full-fledged minority group by 2042.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/census-minority-babies-are-now-majority-in-united-states/2012/05/16/gIQA1WY8UU_story.html

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As we were in 1620.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My white persecution complex is tingling with anticipation at being statistically justified.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Arnold Schwarzenegger says avoid the hot Latin blood, and especially avoid the ultra-hot combination of black and Latin blood. And he knows whereof he speaks.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Did you ever think you were the crazy one? :)

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've been forced to confront this idea on a couple of occasions as well.

I've rejected it. I'm just attracted to the crazy.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Your rejection is proof that you're crazy. :)

8. joe

joe Active Member

But I'm betting the Census figures also would tell you that white men will still control the vast majority of wealth in the country regardless of changing demographics.

9. These stories come around every so often, and it often makes me wonder why the media choose to identify Hispanics (most of whom self-identify as white for Census purposes) as a separate category when it suits the narrative and not when it doesn't.

The notion that an immigrant from, say, Panama is automatically classified as a "minority" and an immigrant from, say, Romania or Pakistan, is classified as a Caucasian and thus is in the majority, is strange.

It gets even more ridiculous when you have second- and third- and fourth-generation Americans from Spanish-speaking countries who have little or no connection to their Hispanic heritage other than, perhaps, a last name, and yet they are grouped differently for demographic purposes that have a questionable premise to begin with.

This is a tangent, but I found it humorous that George Zimmerman (of the Trayvon Martin case) was constantly identified in the media as "white" when in any other context, he would be identified as Hispanic.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

The takeover will be complete in 42.

11. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I know a lot of you here think he's funny, maybe he is. I've never heard his act. But over here he's being willfully obtuse for a laugh, right? He can't be dumb enough to not get this.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted