1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Census dilemma, and they're right

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Apr 19, 2010.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100419/ap_on_re_us/us_i_m_not_biracial

Considering we have a president who could claim he's white since his white mother gave birth and raised him, maybe it's time we quit making people claim a race other than human.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still can't believe they have "Negro" listed as one of the choices on there.

What is this 1968?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I always check High Yeller.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Race: Other
    "American"

With the post-1965 growth of immigration from Latin America & Asia and the growth of international adoption and the growth of interracial marriages, race is going to get more and more and more complex. In 1880, "race" meant Italian or Irish. Then the Italians and Irish started marrying each other, and they became "White."

The future of America in a nutshell: the POTUS and the most famous athlete in America are both multiracial?

5. Tom Brady is multiracial? Who knew?

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Protestant English and Catholic English

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I thought he was Scotch-Romanian.

8. What kind of name is Poon?

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

Agreed, but what would this do to "minority" Congressional districts?

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Hopefully, eliminate them (I hate gerrymandering, e.g., the party in power in a census year legislates itself keeping power for the next decade). One Libertarian proposal, at least in my state, is to require all districts to have two right angles that contain at least 50% of the population of a district.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I checked black in hopes that it would make me a better dancer.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Older Americans fill out the form, too. And the Census Bureau claims many older people identify with that term. It uses "Black, African-American or Negro."

Using only "modern" terminology on a form filled out by people aged 18-100 would be as silly as if they said on the form, "How many people live in your crib?"

Draft saved Draft deleted