1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cellphone ban in schools?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Feb 1, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Is there a constitutional right to "talking on the cellphone while driving at 75 mph"? :)

And before the end of the decade I predict talking on your cell while driving will be outlawed. And not fast enough. I'm with Captain: it' dangerous

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I didn't say it was a constitutional right, dumbass. :)

But I'd still do it. I can't remember the last time I went more than an hour and a half without touching my cell phone. And that gap is only recently, when I'm working out with my trainer.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I love you too. :)

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ship me some Keith's and we'll call it even. :)

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's what my high school wound up doing. They had it set up where no one could get a signal during school hours, or something to that effect.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Sorry. I'm a talker-while-driving, too. Texter-while-driving, too, for that matter.

I grew up with cell phones. I grew up with cell phones while driving. It's as natural to me as, well, just driving. And it's not dangerous because I have my priorities straight -- the driving, of course, takes precedence.

They should think first about making a driver's license more difficult to attain, and offering kids mandatory driver's ed, than banning cell phones. Too many stupid people behind the wheel as it is -- banning cell phones isn't going to get rid of those fuckers, and it's not going to make them any safer to be on the road with, either.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, I am the QUEEN of texting while doing 80 on the interstate. Full texts too, like "Hey, I heard about what happened. Give me a call when you can. Love you." Not "How R U? I Miss U. TTYL."

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ha! I was complimented on being able to do just that by an SJer recently. ;D

And I hate text-talk -- where's that sig graphic from ondeadline? I spell out everything.

9. Hiro

Hiro Member

Before I had a license (and before cell phones in high school) I used to call home collect on the pay phone and instead of my name just say "come get me!" Parents refuse charges (or just hang up) and come pick me up. Never cost us a dime.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

That works well. I did that in college when I wanted my parents to call me back.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'm the same way.

Texting has just become so natural to me, I don't even have to take my eyes off the road to do it anymore.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

If you're going to outlaw talking on your cell phone while driving, you'd best outlaw drinking and eating while driving too. Because to the best of my knowledge, no one has ever choked to death talking on the phone. And it's far more dangerous and distracting to balance food and drink than to talk on the phone. I'll bet many more accidents are caused by someone trying to eat and drink than someone trying to talk.

Other than that, preach on about cell phones in schools. Kids do not need cell phones in school. It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. My wife teaches and takes a kid's cell phone multiple times a week. When I was there for career day last year, it seemed like every kid was on the phone in between classes.

As J_D and others have said, we all got thru life just fine without a cell phone or pager in high school. Need to set up a ride home? Do what I did: Fuckin call home after practice. Have mom give you 10 dimes (OK, now it's 10 quarters) and keep them in your locker. Use the pay phone. It's retro, so it's in.

Draft saved Draft deleted