1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cellphone ban in schools?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Four years of high school.
    Three part-time jobs.
    Baseball practices.
    Music rehearsals.
    No cell phones.
    No pagers.
    No e-mail.

My parents and I managed to make it work.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Kids have always had extracurricular stuff after school. That doesn't seem like a reason for a cell.

I don't have a problem with kids and cellphones but parents should know about extracurricular stuff before Johnny goes off to school in the morning.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks, J-D. Kinda my point.

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

One kid in high school, one in junior high. Both have phones. The school rule is, if they go off during class, the phone is confiscated.
    The reason we give the kids phones is because of after-school activities and the fact that my wife and I both work. It has come in handy many times. We would never call the kids during school--they call us sometimes if something comes up during school.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, you'd think a parent who needed to get in touch with a child during school hours would call the school office. That's how it worked when I was in school.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You wouldn't, but apparently, many would. Thus the problem.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The same person who would call their kid on their cell at school is probably the same dork who talks on the phone while driving. It's called inconsiderate and selfish.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

in the school district that my wife and I teach, they're banned. If you are caught with one, it will be taken up and in order to get it back, mom and/or dad have to pay $25.

The problem with them in school, during class is not only the disruption, but the use of text to cheat as well. I've told my students that if they need one to use after school to call for a ride, that's fine, but it better be put up and off during the day.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As the original newspaper article pointed out, they can be used to cheat on exams now that a lot of them have internet access.

10. Jack_Bauer24

Jack_Bauer24 New Member

Kids aren't using the phones just to call home for after-school stuff though. I'm a teacher (I switched careers) and kids use their cell phones to text their friends instead of doing their work. Or they're texting friends or others in class to help cheat on a test. No joke. Already caught one doing this.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Actually, it's more than that--it's dangerous. It's unbelievable the number of mouthbreathers out there who can't handle the multiple tasks of a) driving and b) talking on the phone, and become so engrossed in b) they basically forget about a) and become a menace on the roadway. personally, i'd like to see the day where it will be illegal to drive and be on the cell phone at the same time.

And don't know if it's coincidence or not, but was up at my son's middle school and I couldn't get a cell phone signal from inside the building. that would pretty much solve this dilemma.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

If they ever outlaw talking on the phone while driving in the state I live in, I will start taking public transportation.

And I HATE public transportation.

Draft saved Draft deleted