1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cell/smartphone suggestions for T-Mobile user

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by forever_town, Jan 1, 2011.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I never thought I'd type these words, but I'm looking for a phone that's capable of texting.

The phone I have now is HORRENDOUS at texting. For the two years or so that I had it, it was never a bother for me, especially since I couldn't afford to pay the per-text charges to send or receive texts for a long time.

However, in recent weeks, I've had a change of heart about texting, at least to the point where I'd like to be able to text as a way of communicating with friends. If I were to try to use my current phone to text, it would take FOREVER to get one word typed, and half the time, I can't even type the letters I want because my phone autoselects letters and doesn't let me change them.

Long story short: I'm willing to consider getting a smartphone with more bells and whistles than I'm used to wanting on a cell phone. I'd be fine with getting a good digital camera in it and Internet access, though those things are still not high priority items for me. The top priority remains getting a phone that has a good QWERTY keyboard that's available for T-Mobile.

As a note, I'm not willing to switch carriers because I'm on a family plan and I don't want to get my own plan.

2. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I think Fisher Price makes several models that would fit your needs.

In all seriousness, if you haven't figured out how to turn T9 off yet, I'd shy away from the smart phone end of the pool.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Shoulda seen that one coming...

I should have prefaced my request by saying that I'm very adept with electronic gadgets and have figured out the overwhelming majority of the features of my phone.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

f_t, asking for a phone capable of texting is like asking for one capable of making calls to other phones. Texting is such a basic task that EVERY PHONE is capable of it. Your best bet is going to be to go to the store, play with the phones, see which one feels good in your hands, which one you like.

I'm stumped by the "I can't use the letters I want" thing. Try your messaging options and turn off the auto-correct. It can't be that hard.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

We just upgraded our daugher's handset to a Samung Gravity T, with the slide-out keyboard. It has touch screen for accessing menu functions, but it's not quite a "smartphone" and we're not paying for a data plan for her phone. She's just out of college and if she wants that stuff, she'll have to pay for it herself! (She'll be taking over her share of the T-Mobile familiy plan once she gets her legs under her financially.)

She texts about 2000 times a month and loves the new phone with QWERTY keyboard. So there's one recommendation. Phone, with new 2-yr commitment, cost about $75 after rebate.

I recently upgraded to Samsung Vibrant, Android smartphone, and like it a lot. Can do a lot (more than I need to do). But i do miss the simplicity of life, sometimes, when I only had a basic flip phone.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One word- "Verizon"

Draft saved Draft deleted