1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cell phones: Is a day of reckoning coming?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Story_Idea, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

The BF and I absolutely do not use our phones while out eating dinner. A phone call we may answer, depending on who it is. But 90% of the time, if it is my mom or daughter, I tell them I'm having dinner and that I'll call them back. Period.

And those I got out to eat with socially tend to do the same thing. If words are actively coming out of my mouth and someone picks up their phone for anything besides a live phone call coming in, I will say something about it.

It didn't always used to be that way, but once we realized we were not actually having conversations while we were face-to-face, we actively put a stop to it.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If I'm at a restaurant my phone is on silent and in my pocket. I don't look at it and don't answer it.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wish I could put mine away more. Even leave it in the car or at home. But with children now, I'm completely paranoid. I don't know how my parents every made it through dinner or a movie out. I really don't.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Which is why I answer when my mother or my daughter call. But I always ask them immediately if I can call them back or not. Most times, thankfully, I can.

5. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

I have a flip phone. Is that as good as a smart phone?

A couple of months ago, I left it on my desk at work when I left on Friday night. Didn't miss it until I decided to grab it on Sunday afternoon before I went in to the office & couldn't find it anywhere.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

So true. I guess if my sister or I started throwing up, the sitter just dealt with it. Today, the parents would be speeding home.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

i have about 100 contacts on my phone. i take it about every place i go. i rarely to never pick up a phone call if i'm with somebody else or away from home. but i'll take a text and respond to a text about 80 percent of the time ... hell, it takes about 20 seconds.

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm one of the very few people I know, especially since most of my friends are in their mid- to late-20s, without a smart phone. I know it would probably help me at times, but I'd rather save the money and not get one. I look up directions before I go places and just use it for calling and texting. Also, if I'm in a group, I know there's a good chance someone else will have one in case we really need it.

I agree that people staring at their phones while in groups is annoying and rude. For most of my friends, it's not an issue, but there are definitely a few who will freely admit that they look at their phones way too much. If you're in a social situation with people you like, be fully part of that social situation. Use the phone if it's necessary, but otherwise don't have it out.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

My dumbphone costs me about $7 a month.
    I'm not a phone person, so that's all I want and need.

Not being chained and addicted to a phone? Priceless.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What did everyone pay for a land line and long distance 10 years ago?

Wife and I will pay @ $150 for smartphones in the fall when we upgrade.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My landline was about $26/month (after adding all the fees/taxes) when I finally ditched it. Had a great long-distance provider in Pioneer (2.7 cents/minute).

My current cellphone (don't have landline anymore) is about $37/month, after adding all fees/taxes. Wife has pay-as-you-go plan. Most of her "calls" are made for free on Skype.

Don't really see the need for more. I have internet at work. I have it at home. Don't need it in the car, or while having dinner, or while at a concert, or while playing tennis, or while hiking in the mountains.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

But what were you paying 10-15 years ago?

Draft saved Draft deleted