1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cell phones/Cell phone service: I need help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by FuerteJ, Oct 28, 2007.

1. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Aiight folks, I'm a free agent in the cellular world these days and am looking into my options. I figured no better place to go than SJ, where people know everything and aren't afraid to voice their opinions.

Right now I've got Cingular/AT&T. I get like 900 anytime minutes, free nights and weekends, 200 texts per month and cing-to-cing for free at a cost of about $72 after taxes. If I can keep this plan and get a new phone, that's fine. I don't necessarily like AT&T, but I like the plan. I just don't know where to go to find a new phone that would jive with my plan.

If I go for a new plan/company, I'm not sure which way i'd like to go. I wouldn't mind some sort of PDA or Blackberry, but i don't care to spend more than $85 or so (give or take a few bucks). I don't even know if that is feasible. (EDIT:) Or even possible. I don't necessarily have to have the whole internet thing.

Are there any regular plans/phones people like?

Anyone got any suggestions? A particular phone they like? A particular company they like?

2. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

I did a decent amount of research into PDA/Blackberry stuff and ended up with a Treo several months back. It runs me about $120 a month on Verizon with 450 minutes, unlimited in-network text messages and 500 outside the network for $5 a month and unlimited Internet, which comes at $45 a month.

If you're going to find anything closer to what you want than that, I'll cry, because I thought I got an above average deal. But I think that's probably around your lowest cost.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I've cycled through most of the carriers over the last 10 years, and Verizon has been the best in both coverage and customer service. I've got the same calling plan you do, and pay exactly the same amount. Difference is, my phone actually works in many more areas now when I travel.

And Verizon has been a favorite of Consumer Reports for years.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

When my contract is up I'm going to get a really cutting-edge plan and buy a phone with a rotary dialer that has to be plugged into a wall.

Seriously, though, I really have never had a single gripe with US Cellular.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm with Verizon, too, and have been for about three years. I've never had a problem with them.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I wound up on Verizon when I moved to Montana four or five years ago. I've never had a problem and had no reason to switch when I left the state.

My parents, however, have problems picking up a signal for Verizon at their place.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

DO. NOT. GET. A. RAZR.

Also, I'm leaving AT&T when my contract's up in December. So I'll keep an eye on this thread as well.

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I have a gold motorola razr that's awesome, and I'm on it constanty. I pay about $100 a month with unlimited texting, unlimited internet, 1200 anytime minutes and free nights and weekends starting at 7, with rollover minuites.

I never go over and I'm on the phojne about 3,500 min per month...

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Patchs, to the white courtesy (cell) phone, please ...

I live in a major metro area, so Sprint does OK by me, and my monthly bill's rather cheap for what I get (500 minutes for $30/month). Patchs linked me to the offer way back then.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Um, through who? I have 900 minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited internet, weekends starting at 9, but it's a good $120 a month with the insurance and the roadside service.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Fuerte, I love my Blackberry Pearl, but with the data plan it might be a little out of your price range.

I got a Verizon Razr I can send you. All I'm using it for now is the alarm clock.

12. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

IJAG, very goo dpoint...I realized now that I forgot to include the 20% discount I get through the company my dad works for.

Sorry.

Draft saved Draft deleted