1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cell phones at work

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fourth and 8, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

Does your company provide them?

Does your company give you a stipend and if so, how much?

Did your company once provide it and then force you to pay for it - and if so, what was the response of the employees?

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I get $60 a month for my cell phone bill, but it was my phone before I got there.

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

My company supplies them for the news people, but not sports. At my last job, they at least provided you with a discount through the cell phone provider on your monthly bill.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

And by the way, I no longer answer work calls on my cell phone.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

We get a $20 stipend after they ceased paying for all cellphones. Which, of course, doesn't come close to paying for one.

I would think for sports it would really suck because while nights are free, when do people chase you down? Daytime. Before 5 for damn sure. I couldn't imagine a sports guy or girl not getting a phone and a news person getting one.

6. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

My first place had a deal worked out with a provider for a discount when you bought a phone, but paid nothing toward the monthly bill. Of course, I wasn't there long enough to take advantage of that quasi-perk.

7. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Our paper provides them to most employees. I still use my personal one, for simplicity's sake. I just take the cost off my income tax.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think some people in my department get them, but I never have. And I don't itemize...so I'm screwed.

We do have a discount (15 percent off) but only through Verizon.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I get $25 a month toward my bill. I will write off a good portion of the rest of my bill since I'm never in the office and I make or receive about 10 work calls a day on my cell.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I found it interesting to learn my place has a reserve of cell phones - in a closet, I believe - that are for as-needed-basis or emergency distribution.

[Thinking - wonder if my Christmas bonus is in that closet, too?]

11. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I get $40 per month for mine, but that doesn't come near to covering the bill.

When I got my latest phone, I got one I could use as an air card so I would be able to send from the road. That service is an extra $60 per month, making the total package about $115 per month.

While many places I send from have wireless or ethernet hookups, there are still plenty that provide nothing in the way of connectivity. The phone provides peace of mind in such instances. I guess that's worth the extra money I spend.

Draft saved Draft deleted