1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cell phone/smart phone advice

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WBarnhouse, Jul 15, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I love my blackberry bold 9700 because of BBM chats and such, but I wish I had any phone made by HTC. Definitely not an iPhone though. Those things suck.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

While it may be easy, the Droid kicks its ass in every imagineable category. [For the record, I own neither]

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Why pay $200 for the latest generation smartphone - iPhone, 'Droid, etc. - when you can generally get the last generation free with a contract? Get a 1st gen. Blackberry Storm or something and save a couple hundred bucks.

4. WBarnhouse

WBarnhouse Member

Lugs: Today's stupid question from moi: What's Pre?

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

You're lucky to have the phone app.

6. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Yeah. When it originally dumped a lot of old e-mails and texts I saved, I checked online for the source of the problem and that is what it was. Blackberry phones, no matter which one, have that problem since their on-board memory is so small.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Has everything on your list. I'm really enjoying mine. Also, unlike the iPhone, you can reliably make calls on it.

[​IMG]

(It's a T-Mobile MyTouch)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

I have a BlackBerry Curve on the Sprint network, with their $70 a month deal that gives you unlimited data access, unlimited mobile-to-mobile and 450 minutes a month to landlines. My company has a discount deal with Sprint, so that knocks some off the monthly bill.

The device, itself has worked well, with all the functionality you're looking for and a physical (as opposed to touch screen) QWERTY keyboard. I've found accessing my email very quick and easy. You can download a free Twitter app. There's also a free app called Score Mobile that will give you all the live box score/stat information you're looking for.

The one big drawback is Sprint's network. I live in a very heavily populated suburb -- not out in the sticks where there is no cell coverage -- yet the signal in my house is virtually non-existent. It's really frustrating, because I have to tell people I need to call them back from my landline -- which I was hoping to cut, but no such luck because of Sprint's crappy signal.

The Curve does have built-in Wi-Fi, so if I really need to I can run it off of my home wireless network. But when you switch on the Wi-Fi detection, it drains the battery more quickly. Generally, I've found the battery life not that great, though it's enough to get you through the day.

9. Pre > Droid

the Droid keyboard is virtually unusable

i love my Pre

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The Palm Pre. It's for people who like a touchscreen for internet, etc... but also need the Qwerty keypad for actual typing.

I can't type on a touchscreen. Just. Can't.

I also like fast internet on my phone. I'm not an 'apps' person (tho the Pre does have apps.) If you're an apps person, by all means get the iPhone.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/110089/droid-X-adds-to-the-challenge-of-choosing-a-smart-phone?mod=bb-budgeting

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I love my Storm, and now find that I can't use an iphone because I need the tactile sensation of the screen flexing.

Draft saved Draft deleted