1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

cell phone shopping (yes, again)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I did topic searches and couldn't come up with any previous threads, although I know we see them every couple of months.

So here's where we're at. I have a 5-year old cell phone which was hot shit when it came out, but is a museum piece now.

I've had AT&T service for decades but I have the annoying feeling I'm paying too much (about $88 a month). I'd also love to get out of the 2-year contract deal.

I don't talk on the phone that much (never made a dent in my rollover minutes), don't text a lot (one or two a day maybe) and my net usage on my phone is not excessive (although I am sure it would go way up with a new speedy phone).

So for the battle-hardened vets of the cellphone bidding wars, what deals should I be checking out?

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

If you're in a Sprint coverage area, and there are Krogers around, you should definitely check out iwirelesshome.com ... I have all four of my family cell numbers with them, and my monthly total is approx. $90. You can get 100 minutes/texts and 50MB of data a month for $10. For $25 a month you can get 200 minutes, unlimited texts and 200 MB of data. Plus, you can have a smart phone for approx. $50 (to no more than $130). It's a fabulous deal even if you don't do the Kroger loyalty card bit (which can be done to make it an even better deal).

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ms. Ragu uses T Mobile, because she wants a GSM phone that will work in Europe. So it has always been T Mobile or AT&T for her.

We stopped by a T Mobile store last weekend, and they have gone completely to pay as you go plans. It is $50 a month for unlimited phone and texting, plus up to 200 mb of data (after that you get unlimited data but it drops down to 3G speeds). You can get 2 gb of data before the speed slows for $60 a month. And unlimited data with the unlimited phone and texting for $70 a month. They have a family plan, with the first line at $50 a month, the second at $30 and additional lines at $10. You get 500 mb of high-speed data before the speed drops.

They sell a variety of phones at retail prices -- I think the iphone 5 and Samsung Galaxy s4 were $630. And only 3 or 4 of their phones (including those two) work at 4g LTE speeds as opposed to plain 4g speed (and LTE is only available in a few cities already).

But if you can deal with a run of the mill 4g network, and price is an issue, I'd suggest shopping on ebay for the GSM phone you want and then activating it with T Mobile at $50 a month (assuming you won't use a ton of data). You'll get unlimited phone and texting for it and unlimited data, even though the speed drops after 200 mb.

You can pick up a used unlocked iPhone 4S or a Samsung Galaxy s3 for between $200 and $250, and a Samsung Galaxy s2 for less than $200, I think. Not the latest greatest, but for someone who isn't going to burn up a smart phone, I'd think it is the way to go.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I think it's way too much phone for you, but I got a Samsung Galaxy S4 through work and it is AWESOME. I only use it to check the site on the phone to make sure stories are rendering properly in mobile, but it's a great device.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

My Galaxy S4 is arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to it, esp. the camera.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I'll be in the market for a new phone in September or October, and I'm thinking of switching from Apple -- as much as I love my iPhone. I'll stick with AT&T, especially since my plan was grandfathered in when they dropped unlimited data for new customers.

I was looking at the Galaxy S4 and it's a freaking awesome phone. But I don't know if I can ever drop Apple and get a new -- and potentially better -- smartphone. But we'll see. If I can get the Galaxy for a good price, I might get it. It just depends on how much I'll be charged for the iPhone 5 or whichever one is out by the time I can upgrade.

7. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I bought my last few phones off Craigslist. Quite a good way to go about it and I'm still off-contract with AT&T since 2009 or something ridiculous like that. No phones have come out recently that scream, 'Get locked in a new two-year contract for me.' Recently got a Galaxy S3 and am still working on getting it exactly how I want, but it's a fantastic phone.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

New phone in my hand. Nice thing is it optimization of this place.

Draft saved Draft deleted