1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cell phone question...I've looked everywhere and can't figure it out

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jun 6, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Boom: I'm eligible for a "new every two" phone. I might call and see if I can take home blackberry and see if it gets service in my place.

2. JackReacher

Do any of you folks have Verizon? And have you been successful in getting your monthly charges reduced when you re-up or anything like that?

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I have Verizon and haven't had any problems with billing. In fact, they quickly reversed an error on their part a few months ago.

Sprint may be going under soon:

http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker/article/336235/Ten-Big-Companies-That-Are-Veering-Toward-Bankruptcy?tickers=AMD,LVS,S,M,GT,MYL,HTZ

P.S. For those of you looking for a new phone, skip the touch screen. I picked up a Samsung Omnia last year over a Crackberry because it offered a higher megapixel camera (5.0). I hate it. I'm not a big texter, but when I do it's slow and the screen is ultra sensitve. It's constantly switching screens and opening shit. Drives me nuts so it's permanently locked.

4. JackReacher

I hear ya, FJ. I'm definitely going with a blackberry over a touch screen. I hate those damn things.

I think if the wife and I both upgrade to a blackberry (free!) and get on a family plan, we'd only be paying an extra $6 to get unlimited text and data, which is pretty nice. Even if they won't haggle, it's only $6, so no biggie.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I heart my touch screen. To hell with both of you! :D

6. JackReacher

I wish I could like a touch screen, but I have hot dogs for fingers, so.....

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mmmmmmmmm hot dogs.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I've had both: Blackberry 8830we for two years and now the EnvTouch. BB was great for email, clients and etc but I could do without the $90 bill. Did love the qwerty keyboard and trackball. Hated how it would pocket dial everyone all the time unless it was locked. EnvTouch is pretty good. I tried to used the touch screen for texting but that just wasn't going to happen. Thankfully it has a flip open qwerty keyboard. Decent phone that takes great pics, good sound and easy to navigate. And it's about $35 cheaper than my BB plan.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Sonner/IJAG: Most disturbing exchange ever.

I just re-upped with Verizon and picked up a Samsung Alias ... The Blackberry would be a waste of money for me. I'm nearly always near my computer and I don't need to pay 30 bucks a month for the internet on my phone. I did get my regular service reduced by about five bucks a month when I re-upped.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

How did you pull that off? I haggled for a bit with my sales rep and got nothing. Even after I said I'd think about re-upping and that I was really thinking of switching to the iPhone.

11. JackReacher

Our IMs after this exchange....it got worse. :)

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I guess the plan I had before was no longer available, and the next comparable one was a bit cheaper.

Draft saved Draft deleted