1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cell phone for filing help

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KP, Sep 11, 2007.

1. KP

KP Active Member

I'm not the most tech savvy guy out there so bear with me. I'm in the market for a new cell phone and looking for one that will help me file when I'm at a place that isn't wireless. What do I need in order to get a file from my notebook over to cell phone where I would be able to email it? And how much $ are we looking at? Thanks for the help.

Note: I'm not exactly interested in spending $70/month for a broadband card for my notebook. Do they make smaller plans for broadband cards for those who don't use them often?

Also, is a PDA really worth the big bucks they go for? Should I be looking more in that direction?

2. jimmymcd

jimmymcd Guest

Get a Blackberry and tether it to your laptop. It ain't sizzlin' fast, but it'll do.
    T-Mobile has the best deal on unlimited data right now.

3. Magnum

Magnum Member

I have a cellphone that plugs right into the usb port of my laptop ... you might want to consider something like that. Probably a lot cheaper than a blackberry.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Get a cell phone that has Bluetooth, that way you won't need any cables.

I use my Blackberry, but I think it will work just fine with a lot of phones.

All you do is use the phone as a modem and then send a e-mail to the paper.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Nowadays, you can buy cables almost everywhere. Last time I bought one for my old Samsung, I spent $20 on it at Rat Shack. Of course, make sure it's compatible with your phone.

Make sure you get the drivers for your phone. These should be available at your phone manufacturer's Web site.

If you have Verizon Wireless, you can create a connection that's rather quick and easy.

It's not quite as complicated as I'm making it sound. Have any questions, hit me up on a PM.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My cellphone and laptop are both Bluetooth-capable, but I've never found a way to get it together.

I usually hammer out the boxscore and first 5 grafs on the phone and finish up at the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted