1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celizic: XLII Greatest Super Bowl of Them All

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Another thing that diluted it somewhat for me is that on the last two touchdown passes, the receivers were wide open in the end zone. A middle school QB could have made those passes.

DBs slipping and allow the receiver to run free don't make for awe inspiring finishes.

2. Editude

Editude Active Member

That is some ungood writing. Let's hope (for MSNBC's sake) that the recent hires make this site worth going to.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Puh-leese
    The throw to Tyree in the back of the EZ was between two people and it was as if a needle had been threaded.
    Fantastic throw there.
    The next one was for sure, much easier.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Still better than watching a Super Bowl decided by a missed field goal (Giants-Bills) or a made field goal (Patriots playing only to get in Vinatieri's range on his two game-winners).

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Webster slipped on the Moss TD, but Hobbs bit on the inside fake and Plax left him in the turf.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Could you imagine if Gostkowski had been on that first Brady title team?.... Belichick would have had to go for it with 7 seconds left.

7. When did he become unreliable? I thought he was money ...

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Dr. Z believes this one is the best of all-time ...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/02/05/super/index.html?eref=T1

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Amen, Dr. Z! Amen!

This line says it all for me....

"I like a game in which nothing comes cheaply, in which everything is dearly won."

Beautiful...

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That was XXVIII.
    Howley was 1971.
    If he really believes that garbage, his criticism should have been of Bruce for not taking a knee at the Titans' 1.

In a tie game, you take a touchdown whenever you can.
    Jim O'Brien was 1971.
    Has he ever written something so dumb? Welker catches a bunch of dumpoff patterns, pretty elementary stuff, and a couple of gut-checkers across the middle, with no scoring catches... and he deserves it over Manning, or Umenyiora or Tuck?

Idiotic.

I now have a bad feeling that Z may have been behind the Hall Of Fame debacle on Saturday. No evidence... except for a few whacko comments in this piece.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Good analysis of the piece, Simon.
    Most all of it has merit.

12. I'm sorry, but this sentence...

"Has he ever wrote a dumber thing?"

...has to be preserved in the Irony Hall Of Fame.

Draft saved Draft deleted