1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celizic: XLII Greatest Super Bowl of Them All

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Good point. It was a great Super Bowl, but I question whether there'd be so much noise today about it being the "greatest ever" if it had been won by a franchise like Carolina or Tennessee instead of a New York team.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Some people called it boring, but none of us watching at our party would agree. It was nip and tuck, and if you find that kind of game boring, good on ya. Just understand that not everyone shares your jaded view of what's exciting.

I called it one of the best I've seen because I really was on the edge of my seat the whole way through.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

This was a 1-1 soccer game for 70 minutes. Then there were 3 goals.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Sweet unmitigated hate coursed through my veins, and afterwards I tasted the sweet tears of absolute sadness. [/cartman]

I was nervous watching the entire game. I am never nervous watching games not involving Arizona State or Pittsburgh.

Luke Skywalker blew up the fucking Death Star. You cannot say that for any other game.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Bullshit.

Montana knew he had OT in the back pocket.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yeah.... and Game 7 in 1991 blew chunks, too.

This sort of stupid commentary is infuriating.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Had Eli gone down to injury, there were two other SEC quarterbacks (Lorenzen and Wright) over there waiting to take up the slack.
    I'm just sayin' :)
    Seriously, the best bowls ever is all relative.
    Steeler fans get belligerent over some of their bowls and Dallasites gonna vote Dallas.
    Broadway Joe's thing seems, and I wasn't watching on TV, like it might have been dull at times.
    Though it could have been categorized as a great defensive game.
    Carolina and Delhomme, plus McNair's loss to St. Louis were my two favorites.
    Alongside XLII. It's all relative.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Blitz, you have a Steeler fanboy whose mother's mortgage agent is Joe Namath's fucking brother.

This was the greatest Super Bowl.

If I can push that bias aside...

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

agree 100 percent. eli's drive, down four with less time left, was more impressive in every way than montana's. against a better defense, too.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It was a pretty good game. Best ever, ehhhhhhhhhh, I dunno.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I violently disagree with the notion that it was the best Super Bowl.

Three largely dull quarters are by Exhibit A, B and C.

Draft saved Draft deleted