1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celizic: XLII Greatest Super Bowl of Them All

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Maybe.
    But putting the game into perspective as a #5 wild card team having avenged prior defeats on the playoff road IN Dallas and IN Frozen Green Bay, playing against an undefeated team that set records for scoring, and by playing one of the greatest defensive games in football Championship history, this game may be the best.

Then the 4th quarter when the Giants take the lead and Brady goes on a huge drive 5 minute 80 yard drive and completes a TD pass to the greatest receiver in Football for a TD. Then Eli Manning, the media's favorite whipping boy QB, takes his team 83 yards, including 3 3rd down conversions, in less than 2 minutes for the lead. Then the GIANTS slam Brady into the turf with 20 seconds left, but still time for 2 failed bomb attempts to Randy Moss (who never jumped).

Maybe not the greatest game ever played, on it's own. But in context, it was the greatest Championship game since Ameche scored in Yankee Stadium 50 years ago.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

A silly premise/argument everytime it's put forth. What exactly are the qualifications for a game to be labelled the "best ever"? Everyone is going to have their own opinion, their own favorite, and there's no way to prove or disprove that opinion.

I will say we have been quite fortunate over the past ten years or so to have quite a number of games that were decided deep in the 4th quarter.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Wow, abbott, that is one gigantic stretch of logic.

The context of the game does not make a boring game with one great 4th quarter into a "great game"

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The game was dreadful until the fourth quarter. Not dreadful like I was about to switch to the Golf Channel, but c'mon it was a 7-3 Super Bowl for a darn long time.

6. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I'm with the captain. These arguments are silly. For my money, the best Super Bowl was Rams-Titans. In fact, I think Dyson reaching toward the line and coming up a foot short is probably the greatest snapshot from any Super Bowl. I also liked the first Super Bowl. At the time, I thought it was the best Super Bowl ever.

7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I don't understand why a damn good defensive performace -- especially by the Giants -- gets so trashed as making for a dreadful first three quarters. I thought it was quite entertaining -- especially the Giants constantly beating up on the Pats. Why does offense and nothing else have to equal good?

As for best Super Bowl ever? Who knows, there have been several pretty good ones over the past decade alone (I think I might vote for XXXII, but I'm a Broncos homer). But this one has to be in the mix.

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

You can make all the arguments you want for other games but the guy does have a valid point. For those who say just the fourth quarter was good in this one and that the other three quarters were too much grinding, I think grinding is part of what makes football a great game. What's bad about two good defenses going at it? And the fourth quarter in this one was as good as it gets. The Giants' first touchdown drive. The Patriots coming back. And then the Giants' winning touchdown drive -- Manning's escape, Tyree's catch -- was as good as it gets.

Yes, you can argue, but you can't dismiss out of hand how great the game was, especially considering the history that was on the line.

There's no difference between what Manning did and what Montana did against the Bengals, and there was more history on the line and it was against a better team.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't mind good defense beating the offense, but when the offense is rushing for 2-3 yards a pop and throwing screen passes and 8 yarders, it's not so exciting.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's exciting, it's a slug fest. It's the Giants denying a team that's never been denied, possession after possession.

Think of Poland, 1938. Not only do they turn back the invasion, but win the war.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's on one side of the ball, h-a.

But I do like the idea of using tanks in football. Let me run it up the flagpole.

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

It's not in the top five. Might make the top 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted