1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrity you respect regarding current events

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd agree with this, and I think Sean Penn is a colossal douche. I'd put Bono in the same category. They can come across as incredibly pretentious and preachy, but at least they're invested in their causes and trying to do some good.
    And on a less douchey level, Brad Pitt has done a lot of good work in New Orleans. Not sure if he qualifies as a "celebrity," but so has Drew Brees. Brees could easily run for and become mayor of New Orleans if he were so inclined, and only half of that status is from winning a Super Bowl.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It always stays near the front of my mind that I wouldn't give a crap what that person thinks if they weren't a good actor, or a good musician, or a good athlete.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Ah, to be so naive as to think politicians actually vote with their hearts and brains because they care so much for the issues and have extensive knowledge of all sides of said issues.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Read about that as well, and yes, that's cool stuff.

I also find myself agreeing with Willie Nelson on a lot of things, especially involving alternative fuel sources. I'd love for this country to lessen its dependence on crude oil for, well, everything.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

There are celebrities I respect because they have a clear knowledge of their subject and actively support their views with actions just as there are non-celebrities I respect for the same reason, including a number of posters on this board. I may not agree with them politically but their knowledge and demeanor make me feel they are worthy of my respect.

I don't respect them because they're famous but their fame is probably why I've had a chance to hear their opinions.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Matt Damon seems to have his head on pretty straight.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

+1

I find it odd to see people who engage in the political discourse of this board dismiss out of hand the political opinions of celebrities just because they are celebrities. If you enjoy a good political debate, there are celebrities out there who are engaged and knowledgable about what's going on in our country and our world.

And if you take the time to listen to and debate with anonymous posters on this message board, there's no reason to dismiss the opinions of every celebrity just because they are famous. There's also no reason to take seriously the opinion of every celebrity, but I think that's the point of this thread, to differentiate the MankyJimys of the celebrity world from the SFExpresses.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

You bet your ass, baby!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Touche, Creosote, touche. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted