1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrity you respect regarding current events

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I saw Mark Ruffalo talk about fracking the other night and Bill Maher, and I was thoroughly impressed by his knowledge and his passion. Most of the time, rightfully so, we roll our eyes when celebrities pop off about politics, but who do you actually respect?

I will speak for Boom and throw Charlie Daniels out there.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Nobody. Republican, Democrat, Independent, Libertarian, Communist, Anarchist -- I respect the opinion of no "celebrity" unless they actually run for office. They know no more than the average person. Hell, I'd argue they're so wound up with themselves, they know less than the average person.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

George Clooney.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I respect everyone from Tom Selleck to Clooney to Gary Sinise to Ashley Judd. They don't just support candidates they get involved. The stuff that Bono, Don Cheadle, Clooney and others have done regarding Africa is pretty amazing.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Not a one, regardless if I admire his/her work or if I agree with his/her opinion.
    Don't care.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Since the thread title says current events, I'll go outside politics and nominate Kelly Clarkson.

In early May, the cancer patients at Seattle Children's Hospital and their parents and nurses did a music video to her "Stronger" song.

And Kelly responded with a special video for the kids, thanking them.

Some celebs would have just ignored it or given it short shrift. But to me, it's pretty cool that she thanked them personally and told them she would visit them.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I always respected Max Weinberg's messages during the PSAs that Conan did.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, celebrity or not, you don't have to run for office to have an opinion. That's how democracy works.

How do you know they know less than the average person? Would be that average person be the one who thinks the world was created 6,000 years ago?

And what does "wound up with themselves" mean? Aren't most people?

And I'd go with Clooney. And Angelina Jolie.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sean Penn is pretty impressive the way he devotes himself to humanitarian causes. He's done some great work in Haiti and he knows quite a lot about the political landscape, whether you agree with his views or not.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Mini-Ditka

11. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

You're right. And I don't have to pay attention to a person's opinion. I only pay attention to a celebrity's political opinion unless they're in or are running for political office because they are/may make decisions that actually have an effect on people (Schwarzenegger, Franken, etc).

I don't. But I guarantee the likes of Kim Kardashian and Charlie Sheen couldn't name you one of their states' senators.

No.

Yes, unfortunately.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So I shouldn't listen to George Clooney, but should listen to the guy running for register of deeds in Tupelo? Or better yet, Joe Arpaio?

Draft saved Draft deleted