1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrity Political Endorsements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 10, 2007.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Fair enough. *This* white man.

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm all for a Texas cage match between Chuck Norris and Oprah to determine whether Huckabee or Obama will be president.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

One of the few things I actually learned in graduate school -- celebrity endorsements in advertising carry far more influence with the populace than, say, expert information. I'm not sure whether this carries over to political endorsements, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, you'e selling the President the same way you're selling widgets.

It's probably true.

Besides, we're wary of "experts" on anything right now.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Hope Obama remembers Letterman's joke when he was hosting an awards show and get Uma out at some campaign stops? ;D

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

What is the political process nowadays except for candidates selling themselves to to populace?

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Ask President Kerry how much all those Hollywood endorsements helped him in 2004.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That was covered very early in the thread. You keep waiting for that GOP surge. It's bound to happen eventually.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I believe it was the USA Today who did a story once on actors/enterainers who got involved in politics. Very few graduated from college. Some didn't finish high school. The ones who did finish college majored in things such as theater arts. So the background so spout off about their knowledge of issues in relation to presidential candidates isn't there.

I could give a flip what celebrity endores what candidate. But I do watch a lot of shows on which they appear, such as Maher, etc., and the ones who burn my butt are the ones who not only endorse someone (or rip someone) but have a demeanor and attitude that all of us should rally to their cause or candidate or stance just because they do. Tim Robbins and Barbara Streisand are two who leap to mind, in my opinion. Their whole schtick is that "I'm endorsing this person, or I think that person is a boob, and if you don't agree with me, you don't have a clue."

10. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

And yet....

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Don't forget to vote in my Oprah poll. I made a choice just for you.

12. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I would be curious, hondo, what your thoughts are on the Governor of California.

Draft saved Draft deleted