1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrity Political Endorsements

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 10, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Are people really influenced by celebs who jump onto the campaign trail? Are you? I can't imagine voting for someone because Oprah or Barbra or Schilling or Brad Pitt told me to, but it must matter to someone.

Second question....if you were willing to be influenced by a famous person, who might swing your opinion?

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Thousands of morons listen to Pat Robertson and used to listen to Jerry Falwell. So, it wouldn't surprise me that there is a segment out there, I'm thinking those that purchase the National Inquirer regularly, that would listen to a celebrity. There are lots of people that have their altars. They just aren’t all religious.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

CNN's poll this morning...over 30,000 votes, 95% (no, not a typo, 95%) said it does NOT matter if a celebrity endorses someone.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'll reiterate what I put on the other thread on this. I think enough people are that it makes it worthwhile to seek out endorsments. If people weren't going to be swayed by Oprah being at campaign appearences for Obama, why would they go after them in the first place. It would probably be a waste of their time.

It seems to me like national and state candidates seeking endorsment from national and local newspapers. I always see campaign ads, especially down the stretch run, that point out endorsments from the op-ed columns of our state's major newspapers.

Do they have an impact? I think they do, especially to those who identify with the way the paper they read's Op-Ed page is usually slanted.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Maybe I'm repeating GB, but I don't think it's the endorsement itself that has the affect. It's the "Ooooh, Oprah's speaking tomorrow!" deal that gets people excited, then the sheep will decide that Obama doesn't sound half-bad, after all, and they figure, "He seems like a decent guy, and I saw him speak, I'll vote for him." It's a lot more complex than we're all thinking.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You're telling me that you don't think Oprah Winfrey holds sway over Housfrau America? I would beg to differ.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I have seen a total of five minutes of Oprah's show and that was about 15 years ago. I've never understood her appeal. Scratch that. The almost cult-like devotion she reaps. I confess, I also thought the media attention she draws was overdone. I've always seen her as just there. I don't like her, I don't dislike her.

That is, until a charter bus trip to Chicago about four years ago or so. Some of the women on this trip demanded, and I mean DEMANDED that the bus drive by Oprah's high rise downtown and they also desperately tried to get tickets to a taping of her show. It was more 'fan boyish' than anything I've ever seen in my years in the sports industry. (You had to be there to truly understand.)

It was downright scary.

So yes. They are out there.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't think you're repeating me, and you make a good point.

Didn't Zeke say there were 30,000 at Obama's rally? That's a lot of minds you can sway with one good speech.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There was a more-than-capacity crowd to hear him speak in Manchester last night, too.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

-I think the real number is higher than the number that admits it.

-Of those that wouldn't vote based on a celebrity endorsement, they might go to an event to see the celebrity giving the candidate bigger captive audience for his/her message and the PR perception of success.

-I think the political leanings / endorsement of an Oprah or Jon Stewart are far more important than a Pitt or Schilling because their fans are used to listening to them & having them shape their opinions. Oprah's a big deal, and this demonstration of power will probably her or someone else into a silly, Franken-esque vanity campaign.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I've said before and will likely say again...

The value of Oprah is this:

1. Butts in seats. People will come out that might not have come out before. This has more value to Democrats than the GOP, but it can have some big value in early primary states with low populations like Iowa and New Hampshire. Put it this way: Depending on the weather, experts predict about 150,000 people will caucus in Iowa. No one, right now, is polling over 30 percent, or 45,000 caucusers. Somewhere around 30,000 came and saw Obama and Oprah in Iowa over the weekend. So, with Oprah on the event posters, he was able to talk to two thirds of the potential voters he needs to win in Iowa in the course of one day. Ask anyone running any campaign how often that happens.

2. Refuting the woman myth. Like it or not, Hillary is putting the screws to women's groups to push the message that women MUST vote for her or betray the sisterhood. Being able to put one of the most famous women on earth on the stage and have her say that just ain't so is huge.

Is it going to win Obama anything? No. But I don't see how it isn't going to help him.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this thread while slogging through the latest Rolling Stone 40th anniversary issue where they interview a bunch of musicians, actors etc. about the state of the world, the election blah, blah, blah.

I'm thinking, why would I give a fuck about who these people think should be president when they can't always make good decisions about their own careers. Make a movie that doesn't suck, put out an album or two that isn't a peice of shit and maybe I'll give a fuck about who you're endorsing for president.

Draft saved Draft deleted