1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrity obsessions at all-time high

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Should the message be somewhat clearer here? As in 'get your own life?'

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=20ee8637-9bd1-4ed3-b0d8-4e14ea4d035b&k=41943

Zealous super-fans blur line between love and adulation
    Misty Harris, CanWest News Service
    Published: Friday, June 15, 2007
    Despite his troubled public life, Michael Jackson -- a purveyor of pop hits for decades -- has been found to have more loyal fans than any other musical artist.

According to a new study by PopScores, a market research firm that measures the emotional connection between performers and consumers, 82 per cent of Jackson's fans say they love him enough to buy any and all new material he releases. By comparison, Gorillaz returned a "love-to-purchase ratio" of 80 per cent, James Blunt and Linkin Park 73 per cent, Ozzy Osbourne 67 per cent, and the Rolling Stones 47 per cent.

The study, which tracked 20,000 consumers and 300 artists over six months, concludes: "Love is the single most important factor in understanding the level of passion consumers have for an artist."

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I guess that just puts down on paper what we already knew...

It's said that people ignore the value they have as a human being, instead spending hours and hours idolizing a person, who, in reality, is no more 'powerful' than they are...

If they spent that time fulfilling all the potential THEY have, we'd all be better off...

[/stepping off soap box]

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm with you most of the way, T_B ... except for more 'powerful.' They are, plain and simple, and that's what the masses dream of. They think they would love being the center of attention, and many are not at any point in their life.

4. Flash

Flash Guest

So then have people, in general, lost the ability to have their own personalities?

5. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I guess by more powerful, I mean the power that's inside of each of us to make what we want of ourselves...

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Flash

Flash Guest

Hey, I think the story says you guys are more obsessed than we are! :p

Draft saved Draft deleted