1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrity Golf question ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rhody31, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Do the celebrities who play in the various tournaments win money? Or does it all go to charity?
    I ask because one of the Celebrity Tour golfers is set to play in a state amateur stroke play event; I would think winning money would make him ineligible for play. I've googled the crap out of it and it lists career winnings for celebrities, but it didn't say how much was actually theirs or what went to charity.

2. They are prolly paid an appearance fee.

3. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

If the player accepted prize money, he forfeits his amateur status and he most definitely cannot play in the state amateur. Some celebrities know the rules of amateur status and play with professionals but under the condition that they are not playing for prize money; that's perfectly acceptable.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There is an actual Celebrity Tour (the one that has its championship at Tahoe) and that's real money.

There is a cutoff for money, something like if you take more than $600 or $800 cash, you're considered a "pro." Makes for an interesting discussion because if some terrible hack wins $10,000 in a hole-in-one contest, by the rules, he's not an amateur anymore even though he's no more of a "pro" than my 5-year-old kid.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

You're a pro even if you accept a penny in prize money. An amateur can accept a prize voucher with a value no greater than $750; more often than not, this comes in the form of a gift certificate the player can use for merchandise in the golf shop. And, no, an amateur can't exchange the prize voucher for cash.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Guys like Rick Rhoden (who once got his Champions Tour card for a year or two) can win around $250,000 per year if they play enough events.
    The hole-in-one prize thing is true, as per playthrough. True story, from our area: kid who just graduated from high school wins a Ford truck for making a hole in one at a big charity tournament. Tournament officials tell him he will forfeit his amateur status if he takes it (he had a scholarship to an SEC school also, which would have been forfeited). Kid turns it down but ask the tournament director if he can drive the truck around the parking lot one time.

Guy says, "no, takes keys and leaves.

Also, be forewarned: if you win a car at a charity tournament, you've got to pay the sales tax before taking possession. Do the math for a good car. How many of us have that laying around?

7. Rhody31

Playthrough - thanks for the help.
    Hondo - that's why at tournaments with a hole in one prize, I always miss on purpose. I'd hate to have the burden of that decision on my shoulders.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Don't kid yourself. A lot of them get that $750 in cash.

9. Rhody31

The celebrity in question is Mike Schmidt. Talked to him today and he said he got his amateur status back July 17 of this year. This was his first tourney since getting his status back.
    He shot 3 over, but is seven shots off the lead; with 36 holes tomorrow, plenty of time to get back in it.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Lots of ex-ballplayers have visions of the Champions Tour. They have no idea how hard it is just to crack that circuit, much less stay there.

11. Rhody31

That's what Schmidt said.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

In 1992, Jason Bohn was on the Alabama golf team and won $1 million with a hole-in-one in a promotional event. He called his father and said, "Dad, I've got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is I'm off the golf team. The good news is I'm the fourth-leading money-winner on the PGA Tour."

Draft saved Draft deleted