1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrity deaths and you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 26, 2009.

1. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Roberto Clemente....River Phoenix....Gene Roddenberry....Gil Whitney (former Dayton weather man)......those are deaths that touched me...

I plan on being catatonic for days when William Shatner meets his maker

2. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Rarely do the deaths of celebrities/athletes that I don't know have much effect on me. But Sean Taylor's death was a tough one. I guess it's always harder when somebody is so young and dies so senselessly.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

We had just moved to Hawaii, where the European races start in the middle of the night, so we didn't see it live. We get up, turn on SportsCenter and see Senna's photo over the anchor's shoulder before he's even started talking. "Oh, fuck, there's no way they lead with Imola. Senna's dead."

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Yup, him and the rest of the Python boys. When those six are gone, that'll be the end of the real comedy icons.

I was only four when Graham Chapman died and I was seven when Freddie Mercury died, but if I would have been at the same place in my life now as when they died, I would have been inconsolable.

5. WS

WS Member

Never cried when a celebrity died, but Kirby Puckett's death shook me a little. He was the first baseball player I idolized, mostly because, growing up in the southeast, I hated the Braves while everyone else loved them because they were close by.

So, the 9-year-old in me enjoyed the 1991 World Series and still has the highlights of it from the MLB Network show on DVR, and the catch to rob an extra-base hit and the Game 6 HR are still fresh in my mind.

Not too many guys went down so far, so fast like Puckett

6. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Seconded. I was on my way down to the camp to watch the game in a peaceful environment when I heard the news on the radio. It's the only time I've shed tears when I heard of a celebrity dying.

As for other celebrities that I'd be really shaken up when they die, I'd have to think hard about that. There aren't any celebs that come to mind that I feel a personal connection strong enough to illicit the same response I had when Bo died.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Seven when Freddie Mercury died. Holy crap do I feel old.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

I feel bad for the family members, especially the children if there are any, but I can't imagine any visceral reaction to the death of someone I didn't know. I do feel empathy, and a certain sadness, seeing the collective sadness of others.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I thought about this a lot. Joey Ramone's death still makes me sad. I saw the documentary "End of the Century" again last week (almost posted about it on the last movie watched thread) and was just overwhelmingly sad for the rest of the night.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

There is a radio ad in Pittsburgh that says more or less "We know about Freddy Mercury and why they are called Queen and all of that. But we are cool with it. Freddy rocks."

He was fantastic.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

He was great. He really was ahead of his time with the winking self-awareness of just how over-the-top they were. He was in on the joke. I think Queen would be as big if they were signed today as they were in the 70s and 80s.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Fucking Aids stole him from us.

He was great.

Draft saved Draft deleted