1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrity deaths and you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 26, 2009.

1. azom

azom Member

It's hard to get teary-eyed over someone you've never met, no matter if you think you "know" them through their work. I save my grieving for the people that would appreciate it.

I've also written several stories about people that were dead or dying, and those were always tougher than dealing with any celebrity deaths. I've just never been that into celeb-worship, because generally it's set up for failure -- they won't love you back.

That said, certain celebrity deaths were enough to at least make me pause. George Carlin tops that list. I was just getting into Mitch Hedberg when he died, and that sucked. Dale Earnhardt, even though I have no interest in NASCAR. MJ is now on that list, too. No tears, but a pause.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It does make me feel better when dead people appreciate my grieving.

And if you don't think celebs would appreciate being mourned, well...

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hank Gathers dropping dead on a basketball court really shook me up.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'd say Payne Stewart affected me somewhat, I liked him but also his plane crash was so darned haunting. Re-read a lot of stuff about his life and death last week with the 10-year anniversary of his U.S. Open win.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh yeah, Payne got me too. Long story, but that was the one day I actually felt a spiritual connection. I've since turned my back on it and remained a horrible person.

On the positive side, Art Modell's death will be celebrated like Mardi Gras at Casa de IJAG.

6. azom

azom Member

Grieving for someone you don't know just doesn't make that much sense to me. That's all. I don't see myself joining a candlelight vigil for Michael Jackson -- or for any other celebrity. Just how I handle it.

And to add one more I just thought of. Living in Wyoming when Matthew Shepard was murdered definitely caused me and a lot of my friends to hit the pause button.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yup. I was pretty young at the time -- what was that, 91? -- but I still remember it being all over the news.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

'90...I remember the next day's edition of The National being hard to find.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I will bawl when Garth Brooks dies. He's been my favorite artist for 15 years and I know he'll continue to be one of my favorites.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Is it just me or did it seem like that movie about Gathers was out about five minutes after his death?

11. sg86

sg86 Member

I can't think of anyone off the top of my head, but not being a pedophile is a really good way of at least making me feel bad.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

He's the only one I could really think of that would really sadden me. Not sure if I would cry, but I would be bummed for a while. It was his music I grew up listening to, and as someone put it on another thread regarding the deaths of Elvis and Jacko, formed the soundtrack to much of my life growing up (I grew up in rural Alberta, didn't have a local rock station until after I graduated high school).

Draft saved Draft deleted