1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrity deaths and you

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seeing these people crying over the death of Jackson is just odd to me. I can't think of any celebrity whose death would cause me to break down like some of these people.

I remember being a sad little 9-year-old when Elvis died. I was bummed when Jerry Garcia died.

So what celebrity deaths impacted you, a little or a lot?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Obviously, for those who have read my posts tonight, MJ tops that list for me.

Magic Johnson will be even worse.

I'll have to think a little more on people who are already dead.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Lennon, a little bit, I suppose. But really, no "celebrity deaths" have really touched me at all.

Fascinated me, sure. But moved to the point of tears? Nah.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Brad Renfro

I wasn't yet 10 when Elvis, John Lennon and Bear Bryant died, but they all resonated in my house because one or both of my parents were major fans.

As for celebrities I "discovered" on my own, I can't really think of all that many. I was saddened a little bit when Paul Newman and Jack Lemmon died, but it's not like it was any major shock.

Probably the one possibility would be Phil Hartman, given the suddenness and violent nature of his death.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I remember every detail of Woody Hayes' death, my Dad (OSU '69) in his easy chair and watching the NBC Nightly News. The first time I ever saw his eyes get a little glassy.

6. JackReacher

It pretty much sucked when Dick Schaap died a few years ago.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bo Schembechler hit home for me, but golly, I can't think of anyone that catastrophic...

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm pretty jaded, I was too young for King and RFK's death, remember how ripped off I felt after seeing the movie Selena, feeling like the world had been deprived of a hell of a performer. Dale Earnhardt for sure, Belushi...
    There are some people in the world who you figure make the world a little better, a little easier to take, with them in it, figure Oprah will be on the list.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Aaliyah's death rocked my world on every level. Still does, to some extent (8 year anniversary is less than two months away).

Reagan's was hard, but I don't know if he counts as a celebrity.

10. JackReacher

You are awesome, sir. Be proud of yourself and how fucking awesome you are.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'll add when Halberstam died in a car crash a couple of years ago.

I've never been overly mournful of celebrities, when everyone in Britain became sanctimonious about Diana, Princess of Wales upon her passing, I saw it as the height of hypocrisy.

Add in the furore in the tabloids that took shot after shot at her in her life pandering and egging on the grief, and it was a pretty wierd moment. I wish I still had the issue of Private Eye that came out that week that detailed every mean-spirited pot-shot the media had taken at Diana in the weeks before her death, and everything the same people said afterwards, as they all threw lillies on her grave.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Cobain hit me pretty hard, but I was a 13-year-old grunge nerd at the time. Seems silly in retrospect.

Draft saved Draft deleted