1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrating tonight? DON'T FORGET YOUR DD!!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rosie, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I shared with you all the pain our family suffered (and is still suffering) from the result of a one-vehicle accident which killed a beloved member of our family at the start of the Fourth of July weekend this summer. The driver, who was convicted in October, was double the legal limit when arrested.

As Amateur Hour approaches, I am begging and pleading.

PLEASE DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE! Take a cab, get a designated driver, sleep in the back seat of your vehicle, walk home, just please DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

The life you save may be your own.

And in case you need a refresher on the pain, feel free to re-read my rant:

I am so angry ... a drunken driving rant ...
  2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Couldn't agree more. I'm probably staying in tonight to avoid the stupidity that is New Years, but in our area there is always at least a couple of drunk driving deaths, even with the police presence jacked up. The sad thing is some of the programs that were available to those that have been drinking and in need of a ride home have dried up. But if you can afford a bar tab you should be able to afford a cab ride.
  3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

We're staying in tonight but your message is a good one, Rosie. Love to you and all your family.
  4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just had some plans canceled at the last minute so will be home, but for all the reasons stated, if I do go out, all the places I would go are within walking distance, for all the reasons state.
  5. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Echoing what everyone said, tonight is amateur hour. Stay off the roads and stay safe.
  6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I never forget DD's. :p
  7. shockey

shockey Active Member

amen, rosie... there are bound to be some casualties tonight. let's please make sure every SportsJournalists.com member is back here to rant about it. tomorrow and beyond...

prayers to you and your family, rosie. :( :( :(
  8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Thanks HC and Shockey, and the rest of all of ya too.

I did the mandatory "stay safe on New Year's Eve" story this week (seems like I write it every year). In my county, the past several years have been quiet, very few DWIs and no deaths. One officer I interviewed said something very interesting to me - k, it hit home hard.

He said the other holidays are now more dangerous since everyone (in my area anyways) seems to understand the cops are going to be out in force tonight.

Now if we could get the word out for the other holidays - and every day as well.
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good luck on amateur night, y'all.
  10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

An excellent reminder, Rosie.
  11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I just drink until I pass out. Safest way to go.
  12. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

This is such a great point. I was on major highways from 8-midnight last night getting home from a work assignment, and the vehicle-cop ratio was maybe 10-1 for long stretches. It was a lonely, lonely highway.

In a twisted amateur-hour analogy, New Year's Eve has become to staying at home what Christmas is to going to church. As this officer has implied, the don't-drink-and-drive message would be more meaningful if people took it to heart 365 days of the year, instead of only the one day they know they'll get nailed for it.
Draft saved Draft deleted