1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrating the Semicolon in a Most Unlikely Location

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Feb 18, 2008.

1. jmm1412

jmm1412 Member

I thought this was going to be about Erik Davis.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

Love the semicolon, although it can get distracting when used too often. It's about all I think about when I read Chuck Klosterman. I like his stuff, and it reads well, but I really do start noticing the semicolons -- and I think good punctuation is like a good referee.

The em dash is my personal crutch, a hiccup of mine. I go back and remove about half of them every time I write.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You're spot fucking on with Klosterman. He uses it way more than anyone else I read. In fact, I think I began to use the semicolon more after I started reading his work.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

= The Times on a good day.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

The Times knows its readership: It's the most e-mailed story on its site. Note the colon rather than the semicolon. ;D

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Boots only loves the semicolon half as much.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And the article mentions that perfectly quirky book, "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" .

8. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

Aside to Bob Cook: You have a selective memory. Later in the same book ("A Man Without A Country"), Vonnegut also wrote:

"Those of us who had imagination circuits built can look in someone's face and see stories there; to everyone else, a face will just be a face.
    "And there, I've just used a semi-colon, which at the outset I told you never to use. It is to make a point that I did it. The point is: Rules only take us so far, even good rules."

Words to live by -- especially for a writer to live by.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

For those who may have read the story earlier, there is now an entertaining correction at the bottom.

10. There may be a time when I need to use some form of exhort in a story, but I can't imagine a time when it's proper to use it twice in the first three graphs of the same story.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

That's awesome. Along the lines of a misspelled word in a story about a spelling bee ...

12. EE94

EE94 Guest

Not at all. Educational.

love the correction, though

Draft saved Draft deleted