1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrating equality in sports?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, May 7, 2012.

1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

"Real" hockey? Seriously?

Let's not stop there. Why don't male lacrosse players
    Dude, you must live in a state which produces shitty female athletes because in my state the girls would win most of those races.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Pick a state and we can check the times between the girls' high school state track and field meet vs. the boys' junior high.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

No, it mandates equal opportunity. And it's being denied because of sex, which is a clear violation of Federal law.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's not a violation of federal law. If it was, men should sue to play college field hockey and be on the women's bowling team.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

States maintain databases for junior high track!?!

6. RickStain

I dunno, but we can try. Instead of just guessing.

I'll go with my home state of Illinois.

2011 High School girls champion, 100-meter dash:

11.96 seconds (fastest of the three class champions)

2011 Illinois 8th grade boys champion:
    11.33 seconds

That's just one data point, of course, but just about any objective way we could try to find, 13-year-old boys will be faster than 17-year-old girls, on average.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

An 11.96? Did she run into a 30 MPH headwind, in 40-degree temps, with some drizzle? That is slow.

Back in the day the girls in my state, which shall remain anonymous, ran in the 11.3 range. And that was a long time ago.

8. RickStain

Well, we're faced with three options.

A) A state of 13 million people couldn't produce a single reasonably fast 18-year-old girl.
    B) Your state had a very good run of anomolously fast girls.
    C) Going from memory isn't accurate

In fact, the state of Illinois has never had a girl run an 11.3. The state record for girls 100-meter dash is 11.41.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Parents would have to get up to early

10. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Honestly, we've seen women on football teams, so a man on a field hockey team wouldn't be that outrageous to me. Heck, given how good this kid appears to be, it might be him. If there was a guy who really wanted to be on his college's field hockey team and was good enough to do so (rare in this country because there's essentially no male field hockey programs), then go for it.

The NCAA offers very few sports where there are no counterparts for the opposite gender - wrestling and football for men; rowing, bowling and field hockey for women. If someone put up a big enough stink, I bet any man would be allowed to try out for and compete for the rowing team just like women have been on football teams.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Here's why kicking the boy off the team is not illegal. The following article is from 14 years ago, but I doubt males can say they have limited opportunities to participate in sports.

http://info.wSportsJournalists.com/college/lessonplans/law_lp2.pdf

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

https://www.presidentschallenge.org/challenge/physical/benchmarks.shtml

According to the guidelines to receive the President's Challenge award -- I presume we all remember that from our school days -- a person must be in the 85th percentile for the age and gender. Some sample events and the standards each group must reach:

MILE RUN
    13-year-old boy: 6:50
    17-year-old girl: 8:15

PUSH-UPS
    13-year-old boy: 39
    17-year-old girl: 25

SHUTTLE RUN
    13-year-old boy: 9.5 seconds
    17-year-old girl: 10.0 seconds

Yeah, no inherent physical advantage whatsoever.

Draft saved Draft deleted