1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Celebrating 40 Years Since The Immaculate Reception

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I somehow ended up on The Steelers mailing list and received this one today:

This season marks the 40th anniversary of the greatest play in football history - The Immaculate Reception.

Be part of the action by donating to a special monument recognizing the play that changed Pittsburgh Steelers history. The Immaculate Reception monument will be dedicated at the exact site of the catch, adjacent to Heinz Field, on Sat., Dec. 22. Here's your chance to be part of the action right now by contributing to the monument fund.

Quantities are limited so make your donation today.

All tax-deductible donations to the Heinz History Center will receive a personalized Immaculate Reception donation certificate that is suitable for framing, along with the following Limited Edition items.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Frenchy told Raymond Chester (former college teammate) after the game, "I touched it."

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't think it matters that Frenchy touched it because it's obvious that Tatum did, too, or it wouldn't have bounced backward.

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

thanks for the reminder that i'm getting old

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And was this celebrated at 10 years? 20? 25? 30? This anniversary stuff gets old.

6. Boom_70

But this time around you can be "part of the action" and get a certificate of authenticity for donating to the memorial.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

There is a life-sized statue of Franco in the "Immaculate Reception" pose in the Pittsburgh airport, right next to one of George Washington. Tells you all you need to know.

[​IMG]

8. Boom_70

Not to mention a Heinz Ketchup bottle prominently pictured in the background.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Shouldn't he be hunched over a bit more, with the ball touching the ground?

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Fuqua has no idea what happened. He was getting slammed by Tatum. He's been milking the story for 40 years with no basis. He likes the attention.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I have a hand-written fax at home from Franco Harris telling me the story of the catch. It was for the back of a trading card.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Illegal play. Gutless officiating.

Move on.

Draft saved Draft deleted