1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Celeb" national anthems

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micke77, Jan 18, 2009.

1. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Any thoughts on the numerous people saying that Hudson's SB rendition is the best ever? Is this just another case of the newest being the best? Granted, I was only half listening because I was at work, but didn't think it was all that fabulous. Marvin Gaye's and Whitney's were head and shoulders above it, IMO.

Also, I have no issue with them taping it for such a widely viewed event. Same as them taping the performance for the inauguration. These events are too big to risk a mistake or a crappy performance. I read a story today about this, and it mentioned that they wanted Aretha to tape hers and she refused. "You can't tell the Queen of Soul what to do," the producer said.
    http://www.tampabay.com/features/music/article973145.ece

Also, I have heard that the NFL requires the artist to have it pre-recorded, but don't know if this is true. Anyone know?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

That was mentioned in Jenna Fryer's AP story that night.

I hadn't heard anyone say Hudson's was the best.

I loved Whitney's, hate hate hate Marvin's. And I love Marvin in virtually everything else.

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I can't offer a lot of specifics, but I have heard/read several references to it being the best. I don't think so. Don't know who this guy is, but he's heard the scuttlebut as well and ranks it No. 2 behind Marvin's, which I LOVE.
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/news/columnists/oldschoolblues/blog/2009/02/miracle_a_black_gop_chairman.html
    And if the NFL requires lip-synching, why are people even making it an issue?

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If the song was live, it would have been one of the greatest I have ever heard.

Since it was done over and over in the studio, it loses a lot of its luster.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I thought it was pretty good but not one of the best ever.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No, the NFL requires them to record a track one week early in case they do have to do the lip synching. I have no idea what goes into the decision to sing vs. lip synch.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I see that now. I can't find anything that says how they decide when to use the recorded version. Still don't have a problem with it in these huge events. But I'd have a problem if Bruce had lip-synched. Not sure what the difference is really. Guess I just expected it with the anthem.

And I'm with you 'beetus. Very good, but not great.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

Whitney remains No. 1 on my all-time list of best national anthems. I don't believe anybody can ever do much better than what she did.

Draft saved Draft deleted