1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Celeb" national anthems

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micke77, Jan 18, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

yep, without this gig hudson would surely be going hungry. ::)

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'd love for once to hear somebody come out and sing the anthem at a Super Bowl without the big overblown backup track behind them (the unfortunate trend Whitney Houston started). Not a big J-Hud fan, but she does have a big enough voice to pull it off.

3. jps

jps Active Member

someone has had to have posted the question somewhere already, though didn't see it in a quick search .... but what's the over/under for the anthem tomorrow? she keeps it straight, 2:03. but I think she goes a bit long ... 2:33.

4. micke77

micke77 Member

well, i began this post with the offering that so many "celebrity" national anthems are really bad, but I gotta give Jennifer Hudson five stars on her rendition.
    I thought she was outstanding. absolutely one of the best ever, in my opinion. kudos to her and particulary after what she's been through.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

She mangled and warbled that last set of notes at the very end. Could have done without her little closing rendition in what was otherwise a nice performance.

6. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Here's a link for those who missed it:

Love her.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Well-said, 'pern.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Straight forward, but always one of the most memorable.

I though Hudson sounded good for the most part, but the instrumentation bothered me, until the final few lines sounded almost more christmas charol than Star spangaled banner.
    Anthems are tricky to put your own spin on, there's the temptation to do far too much with it and it can go way wrong far too quickly. Personally I like the renditions that are more straight forward, that don't have the unneccesary runs and warbling, and still deliver the power that a song like the Star Spangled Banner should bring. Biggest side by side comparisons I could come up with is playing Whitney houston's followed by Mariah's, and Mariah's is just so weak in comparison, where as Whitney Houston, while still taking artistic liberties, still brought the power and absolutely nailed it.

The renditions I enjoy the most are generally done by those that are classically trained, often in opera. They don't mess with it too much and the power is always there, and that includes for O Canada.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe next year the anthem can be "sung" by Kanye West Martin Louis the King Jr. Address him as such.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

She was great.

When you add her to Bruce, I don't think we will have a better night of music at the SB.

11. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I think those artforms you brought up are inherently AMERICAN and should at times be a part of the Nationanl Anthem. 

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sure the Whitney SB anthem was overproduced... but it still gets dusty in whatever room I'm in when I hear it. I guess I just relate it to the time... Gulf War. In that light, it will probably be the strongest in my mind for some time to come.

Draft saved Draft deleted